Prologue

Emergency alarms blared. Warning tapes played over, and over, and over again from speakers that had been set up all around town. They lined the streets, an automated man's voice saying the same words over, and over, and over.

No one knew what it was for. The skies were bright and blue, and light, fluffy clouds drifted above their heads peacefully. Not one single drop of rain fell. The ones who lived near the oceans peeked out of their windows, and the waves were as peaceful as could be. As far as most people could see, there was no danger. It was just another day for everyone.

Eventually people waved the deafening sirens off as a malfunction and carried on with their day.

The voice from the speakers tried to usher people into their homes, telling them to lock and barricade their doors. No one listened. They continued to walk along the streets, growing ignorant towards the alarms. They learned to talk above them as the day dragged on.

It was when cell service cut out a week later that people began to panic. When they tried to call one another to complain about the loud defect, they found that they couldn't. The Internet soon cut out and people went ballistic, completely lost without the devices.

Soon after that, the power cut out all around the world, resulting in even more of an uprising inspired by fear. People ran through the streets, searching for friends and family members. Thieves ransacked stores, collecting as much food and supplies as they could before scampering off into hiding.

The world was in panic, and they hadn't even met the monsters yet. When the beasts did stumble upon the unfortunately despaired towns, the people were easy targets. They were gobbled instantly by the creatures, whose mouths and clothes were stained a deep red with blood. Organs and arteries flew as most of the humans were ripped apart by the unfeeling, hungry monsters.

Their eyes were full of hunger. They were always starving, never satisfied. Around the world, the disease spread, taking over continents where there were little to absolutely no safe bases. All there was were camps that has been set up by humans.

Those who were bit became ravenous, transforming into the monsters themselves. As people began to learn about the monstrosities, they wished they had taken precautions earlier, when the alarms first sounded. Everyone regretted not listening to the warnings and locking themselves up when they had the chance. Maybe then not as many loved ones would've died or changed over.

Many people got a late start on things, which resulted in many more deaths than there had to have been. But there were a save few who left their houses as soon as the warning bells rang throughout the streets. They threw canned foods and pocket knives into bags and head out after gathering their family members and friends. They set out immediately, leaving behind the ones who waved off the notifying alerts.

They were the ones who knew of the upcoming pandemic. They had believed that something of this nature would come for years. They left before the monsters arrived. They knew what they were doing, not relying on the safety of technology.

They were the ones who took notice of the sirens and categorized the beasts for what they truly were: Zombies.