What Happened to Belle?

Word count: 1372

I tore the scans out of my intern's hands and groaned when I saw them. "This is bad. Very bad." I threw the scans half heartedly onto my lap.

"What's the diagnosis?" Lexie asked, standing to my left.

"Spinal cord damage. It was temporary for the eyesight, but without surgery it could leave me with a permanent disability in my hand and foot."

Killian, who was standing on the right side of my hospital bed, put his hand on my shoulder. "Dr. Grey, do you really think Dr. Hartfords should be reading her own scans?" He directed the question at Lexie. I scowled at him.

"Mr. Jones, I-"

"I'm the attending, she's the intern. If I tell her to show me the scans, she shows them to me." I grumbled. I reached out with my shaking right hand and grasped the scans. I was able to hold them for no more than five seconds before I had to drop them.

"Dammit." I muttered, drawing my quivering hand close to my chest.

After the explosion, I was taken to the ER by Killian. I sustained a spinal cord injury that caused my right hand and foot to have a tremor. It had also accounted for the loss of my eyesight, but fortunately I had trained my residents well. They'd gotten my eyesight back first thing and then moved on to my other injuries. I had 16 stitches in my thigh, where I had gotten cut by debris. My right shoulder had the same issue, but it was cut right at the joint and made moving it impossible. I'd decided my own treatment and gotten stitches and a sling to hold it in place until we could decide on a more permanent treatment. 

It could've been worse, everyone said, except it really couldn't. I was starting to understand why everyone complained about hospitals. Being a patient at my own hospital was agonizing. The food was terrible, I wasn't allowed to even look at cases, and I was confined to my bed all hours of the day.

That wasn't even the worst of it.

Within half an hour of my injury they'd gotten a neck brace and secured it on my neck with strict instructions never to take it off, because it could cause more damage than had already happened (which I knew, of course, but it was hospital protocol to explain everything). But bloody hell, I wanted to take that thing off.

Killian took my trembling hand in his and squeezed it, not minding that my own tremor was making his arm bounce up and down. My neck went hot at the touch. Killian had been a godsend. He had saved my life.

That had to count for something, didn't it?

"Can we operate?" I asked Lexie, interrupting my own thoughts. She glanced at Killian, and then back at me, confused.

"I know the answer," I rolled my eyes. "But what do you think?"

"Oh!" She laughed nervously. "Well, I think if we operated, you'd have a high chance of a full recovery since the damage isn't incredibly severe."

"Correct," I raised my eyebrows. "And what type of surgery will we be doing?"

"A Dural Tear Repair." She replied back instantly.

Killian raised an eyebrow seductively. "Impressive." He commented. Lexie blushed and looked at her shoes. I ripped my hand from Killian's, ignoring the pain that went 

"It's nothing, I have photographic memory," She explained with a nervous giggle. I rolled my eyes in exasperation.

"Lexie, take these scans to Dr. Shepard. Now." I growled.

She swallowed and nodded. "Yes, ma'm." She turned and left the room quickly.

It was nice to know that the neck brace and sling didn't make me any less terrifying.