Blast From the Past

I was surprised to find that Killian had never tried soda. He insisted he'd rather drink a vial of dream shade than try a soda. I insisted we make an immediate trip to the gas station and pick up every variety of soda available.

"Okay, so, there's Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Fanta, Root Beer... oh my god, I just realized you've never had an energy drink, either... actually, we should probably stay away from those for you." I murmured to myself as we browsed the drink selection.

"This looks like poison." Killian remarked, wrinkling his nose as he held up a radioactive-waste green Mountain Dew.

"Oh, it is." I grinned, pulling a bottle of coke off the shelf.

"Do I have to drink these?" Killian asked, weakly accepting the armful of drinks I shoved into his chest.

"Yes. But, after you try these, you'll thank me, I promise. Oh, slurpees! Actually, I don't think you're quite ready for those yet..."

"Do any of these have alcohol in them, at least?" Killian sighed.

I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips. "Nope." Deeming the selection a good enough starter pack to introduce Killian to, I guided him to the counter to pay. The cashier was a squat, middle aged man, with thin, balding brown hair and a scowl permanently set into his face.

"Thank you for shopping at Storybrooke's convenience mart," the cashier grumbled, his voice low and scratchy. "That'll be 27.28-" He froze like a deer in headlights.

I frowned, raising an eyebrow. "Hello?"

"You're her," the cashier mumbled, the blood draining from his face. "Y-you're Megara."

My heart missed a beat. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Killian's hook raise slightly. "I'm- I'm not sure what you mean. Have we met?" I asked uncomfortably, swallowing a lump of panic.

The cashier laughed bitterly. "Oh, you wouldn't recognize me, would you? You lying, stinking, thieving piece of horse dung-"

"Excuse me," Killian pushed in front of me slightly and set his hook on the table so that cashier could see it in full view. His voice was steely, like a razor blade sliding against metal. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't speak to my friend that way."

The cashier went red, his face puffing up. "I see she has another piece of muscle to deal with her messes. Let me warn you, pal. Get out while you still can."

"Who are you?" I cut in, anger bubbling up inside of me.

"The name's Phil." The cashier growled, his eyes burning with hatred. My eyes widened involuntarily. Phil, of course... Phil cackled. "Ah, you remember me now, eh?"

"You look different without horns." I replied flatly. If Phil was anything here like he was in the Enchanted Forest, the best course of action was not to show any emotion to him.

Killian turned to my, gripping my arm. "Grace, do you know this man?"

"He trained Hercules," I murmured, keeping my eyes trained on Phil. "We used to know each other. When I..." guilt settled in my stomach.

"It's alright," Killian muttered softly, giving my arm a reassuring squeeze. "Let's just get out of here."

"Still keeping in touch with Hades?" Phil interjected loudly. "I hear you two take the best vacations down to Boca Grande."

I lurched forward, slamming my hand on the table. "I would never- never- willingly team up with that manipulative bastard-"

"Grace!" Killian grabbed me again, cutting me off. Phil smirked.