Beauty and the Beast

Two weeks of quarantine later, and I'd gotten pretty used to being separated from real life. So when I got a call from David, I was surprised, to say the least.

"Hello?" I picked up the phone.

"Grace. It's Belle- Lacey- whatever. She's back." David said.

"Back? What do you mean she's back?" I gripped the edge of the couch tightly, my body suddenly rigid.

"She has her memory back. For real this time." David replied.

"What- where is she? Can I see her?" I sputtered, hurtling to my feet.

"She wants to see you at Granny's later. She didn't have her phone so she asked me to ask you. What do you say?"

"Y-yes! Absolutely! When?" I ran to the kitchen, searching for my car keys.

"An hour? She's still catching up with Gold at the moment."

"I'll be there."

"Great. I'll let her know." David replied. "I've got to run. I'll talk to you later."

"Thank you, David!" I beamed.

"What was that all about?" Hook's voice came from behind me. I jumped, so preoccupied in the news of Belle's return I'd forgotten Killian was home.

I met his eyes, suddenly remembering the day we met. "Belle has her memory. Her real memories."

Killian shifted, clearly surprised, then smiled a smile that made my insides feel warm despite the sudden reminder of everything he'd done. "That's great news! I assume you're going to see her?"

"We're meeting at Granny's in an hour." I swallowed back the sudden guilt I felt and tried to just focus on seeing Belle again; who knows if she would even care I was friends with Killian?

Right, because no one would be mad at you for becoming friends with the person who shot them.

"Why don't I drive you?" Killian offered, his voice eager, like he was making up for something.

"No," I replied quickly. "I have to run some errands. I'll just take my car and do them afterwards."

"Ah," Killian replied uncomfortably, looking down to inspect his hook. "Have a good time."

"Thanks." I grimaced, my body only becoming more knotted and tense with the thick atmosphere. "I'll be back."

When I got in the car, my hands were unusually shaky. I took a deep breath, trying to come my fraying nerves, and tried to reassure myself that it was just Belle. My best friend.

But I couldn't deny that so much had changed since she'd been gone. She had been through so much, I'd almost been killed (twice), and I had a strange friendship with a pirate, who had tried to kill her. We had both been through events in our lives that were changing us- and our friendship. I couldn't help but feel a small seed of doubt in my stomach that our encounter would go well.

I started the car. I had waited too long for her to come back to push her away now. I'd see my friend again, we'd talk, and everything would be alright.

Would it?

~~~

I sat at the booth in Granny's, halfway through my third unsweetened iced tea, my fingernails bitten to the quick, and Belle still hadn't arrived.

God, I wish Killian were here. I thought involuntarily. I immediately shuddered at the thought, guilt seeping into my mind. Belle was what mattered. Belle.