Aftermath - Part 4

"Honestly, Mom and Dad, I'm fine. I mean, as fine as someone with a pretty serious head injury can be. My brain - still there - just a little mushier." I try to give them a reassuring smile but there isn't a single part of me that doesn't hurt. 

The doctors told my parents that I was lucky to be alive. As if I didn't know that as if I hadn't known that the moment I woke up in Ryan's arms. I do feel pretty bad that they are about to be dragged into something much more complicated than a head injury. But, I can't let myself care too much about anyone on this realm; I'm determined to get back home. 

"I get to miss some school and some tests. It's not all bad." I feign an upbeat attitude, hoping that some resemblance to the girl they so desperately want me to be will help ease the tension in the room.

"Hannah, I still don't understand how falling down while you were out walking with Maizie could cause an injury this severe. I really feel like there's something you aren't telling me. And that boy, Ryan, is it? He has been here every day asking about you. Why won't you see him?"

"I'm just embarrassed, Mom. I wasn't even supposed to be at that party, and then I get injured so badly that they have to rush me out in an ambulance. I mean, that's gotta be some form of social suicide. He's one of the most popular guys at school." 

I don't tell her that I'm afraid he remembers, but even more terrified that he doesn't. I'm not sure I'm ready to know; I fear the disappointment will pull me down so far that I won't be able to crawl out of the pit. 

"Well, I'm glad that you're at least letting Maizie see you. She's such a sweet girl, and she really seems to feel horrible about what happened to you." She pauses, and her eyes shift to the ceiling before meeting mine again. "Which, truthfully, also makes me feel like there is more to the story." The door squeaks as it opens. "Oh, speak of the devil, she's here again. Maizie, so nice to see you again today."

She stands in the doorway with her brown hair pulled back in a ponytail and a pile of gossip magazines in her hand. "Mrs. Richards." She nods at my mom and then looks uncomfortable again.

"Well, I'll let you girls get caught up on school things." She stands up and ushers my father out of the room with her.

Maizie is still in the doorway, quiet for a moment, watching me. I give her an appraising once over in response. I have a headache and am really not in the mood for a staring contest. All of a sudden, I want a break from everything in this life and every other. I may have gotten what I wanted, but I'm not sure I can stand to face it.

"Your parents don't really deserve all this. I hope you know that." She steps in far enough to shut the door and then sits down on the vacated seat.

"You know, my mother just left the room, I don't really need another one to take her place," I snap at her. 

Maizie is acting differently. I took a swan dive off the water tower and something jarred in her; I'm not sure I like the change. 

"Awesome. Great response. You almost kill yourself a couple nights ago, you finally have him hanging around you like a lost puppy, you're the talk of the school and not actually in a bad way and you're friggin' grumpy with me for pointing out that your parents are pretty worried about you."

"Thanks for the summary."

"You are being such a bitch. I did what you asked and now you're in the hospital. I'm actually feeling pretty shitty about letting you talk me into helping in the first place. If you'd told me what you'd planned to do, there would have been no way I would have let you do it. Just to get his attention...there had to be another way."