The Diner - Part 11

"Are you sure about this, Ryan?" I look at the crowded parking lot.

"Yes."

"I'm serious. I think this is kind of a big deal for our first date. If you take me in there you're basically announcing to the whole school that we're dating. I'm not sure whether you noticed, but I'm not exactly the most popular girl at school," I say.

My teenage angst is out in full force. I wish I didn't have these oscillating teenage emotions mixed up with my grown-up past. The tiny part of me that always felt incredibly lucky to have him on the other realm is magnified and amplified here. I feel a little unworthy, even though he is the reason for my very existence.

"You really think that's what I care about?" he asks.

"Of course you don't care about it, you're popular." I roll my eyes, cross my arms and watch as more people from our school climb out of their cars and walk into the local diner.

"Well, then you'll become popular by association," he says as if it's always that simple.

"You really think I care about being popular?" I ask.

"Why is this so hard?" He bursts out and pushes back into the car seat. His frustration is clear. "I know what I'm doing. I know what it means to go in there. I want to go in there with you." He pauses and his face flushes. "Unless you don't want to go in there with me." He takes a deep breath. "I know I've been acting weird lately and I certainly can't explain it to anyone, including myself. If I've been too much of an idiot...well, I can just take you home or someplace else or...whatever." His voice fades out and he deflates.

I've hurt his feelings. My heart sinks. I don't know why I'm making this so hard for him either. I guess I just didn't expect him to be so certain about shouting this, whatever this is, from center stage. 

"No, Ryan, I'm the one who should be apologizing to you, I think. I like you. I actually really like you, but we," I hesitate, "we've just had one date and I want to be sure you know what you're doing." I gesture to the crowded parking lot. "I mean, this is a little crazy," I say.

"Fair enough." His hand moves to the ignition. "So, are we going in, am I taking you home or are we going somewhere else?"

I want to ask him again if he is sure that he wants to go into the diner with me, but I force myself to take a deep breath. "It was your idea," I say.

He beams. "Sweet." He climbs out of the car and meets me at the front. He extends his hand in my direction, and I lace my fingers with his as he leads me into the crowed Friday Night Diner. I wanted to make some waves, this wasn't quite what I had in mind. But, if we're going to be stuck in this realm forever, I need to get over my fear of fitting in.

He takes me around with him for the next hour, making me feel like the most important girl in the world. He keeps me tucked at his side and looks at me like I am the only person in the room. I feel myself falling for him over and over again. When his best friend Mason shows up just before we have to leave, I hold my breath. So far no one has even batted an eye about the fact that I'm glued to Ryan's side.

"You heading out bro?"

"Yeah, man. I'm on my best behaviour tonight. Gotta get her home by ten and we have ten minutes to make it there on time. Have you met Hannah?" Ryan asks, looking down at me.

"Uh, yeah, I think we have a few classes together." His eyes slide away from mine and back to Ryan.

Two to be exact, but who's counting? At least he knows I exist. "Yeah, we've met." I manage to mumble back.