Death Below - Part 26

I'm running, my feet hitting grass and rocks and dirt while branches snag my clothes and slap my face. I hear the growls close at my heels and I push myself harder, determined to make it to the house. They came out of nowhere and in my rush to escape them, I lost track of the path. The full moon illuminates the forest and I look from tree to tree as I try to maintain my pace. I need something to climb; I can't last much longer at this pace. Finally, up ahead, there is a tree with a strong lower branch that I might be able to use as a starting place, but if I don't make the leap, whatever is behind me will tear me to pieces. I push my muscles harder than I ever had to before and I fly at the branch with all the force I can muster. I heave myself up on the limb and then immediately onto the one above it, scrambling to escape what is below.

In the half-light I can make out figures that look like dogs, but not like any dog I have ever seen before. Everything hurts from my mad dash and I can't quite catch my breath. I search my pockets for my cell phone, but it's gone. I don't know when I lost it; it feels like I've been running forever. I stand up on the bough and try to look for the path. Not that I can climb down; the dogs are still under the tree snapping and snarling. I sit back down, knowing that I'm probably stuck here for a while.

I'm not sure how times and places work for the keepers, but I know I'm not going to be able to do this alone. "Time Keeper! Life Line Keeper! Head Counter! I need some help here."

I sit still on the tree, listening to the dogs below and my heart starts to sink. Clearly simply calling them isn't going to be enough. I close my eyes and try to remember the Life Line Keeper's office, the glass panels that show life passing him by. I picture myself in one of those windows, calling to him, willing him to see me. There's a sharp pull on my body and my eyes snap open. I'm still on the tree; I'm still alone. I move myself closer to the tree trunk and try to stabilize my body. I visualized his office, the windows, him.

When I open my eyes, I'm sitting in a chair in the Life Line Keeper's office and he is sitting behind his desk.

"Well, I can honestly say this is a first."

"I'm sorry. I was trapped and I didn't know how else to get myself out of there."

"I hate to break it to you, but you're not really out of there. That first push I gave you was a reminder to brace yourself. Your body is still there, hopefully on the branch or this conversation won't really be relevant anymore." He turns to look at the wall beside him and my body is slumped in the tree, perched precariously. "It appears you are safe for now."

"What are those things under the tree?"

"Eliminators. He put a price on your head, so they'll be coming for you in a variety of forms. It was a little foolish to leave Ryan's room. You would have been safe there. He can't kill Ryan and he would have told his minions not to take the chance. He's knows you a little too well, I'm afraid."

"What are we going to do?"

He puffs out a breath and stands up to look at his windows more closely. I can't tell if he's hoping for the future, the present or the past to be reflected back at him. The longer I stare, the more two figures begin to emerge in the panes. One I clearly recognize as the Time Keeper and the other I assume is the Head Counter. Except, I thought the Head Counter was also a male, but whoever this is has a female form.

"The Head Counter isn't bound to an appearance; just not fond enough of one look like the rest of us." The Life Line Keeper doesn't turn from the windows to look at me.

"Can Grayson see us?" I ask, remembering his all-knowing comment.

"No." The Life Line Keeper gives me a sharp look. "How can you say his name?"