Betrayal - Part 28

Maizie drops me off at my house and then leaves for hers. She's coming back in fifteen minutes to collect me. I use my key to open the door and I'm greeted with the familiar scent of vanilla, clean laundry and lemon. Mom must have been cleaning before work. I breathe in all the smells and close my eyes; a twinge of longing, to stay, to be loved, to live here sweeps over me. Opening my eyes, I make my way to the kitchen, past all the pictures my parents have of us on trips, birthdays and special events. I wish I could keep some of those memories, even if I know they aren't real. I find some paper in the kitchen and start to write thank yous and I love yous that will never make up for the void I'll leave behind. I'm signing my name when I hear the front door click.

"In the kitchen, Maiz. Just finishing up!" I call out.

Familiar footsteps approach the kitchen and I don't turn around until I hear the voice. "Hannah, what are you doing?"

My mother is standing in the kitchen, looking disheveled and not quite herself.

"Mom?"

"Hannah, what are you doing?"

Her voice doesn't sound right. It's as though she is repeating someone else's words; she seems hollow, a shell. "What are you doing home from work?" My voice is level; I won't allow any panic to seep in.

We stand facing each other for a moment. For the first time, I long for her to meet my eyes with her soft, loving gaze. Something is really wrong.

"I had a dream last night, Hannah. In my dream, you were a bad, bad child." Her voice is menacing and she almost sneers as she speaks.

"What – what are you talking about, Mom?" I stumble over my words as I scan for some form of weapon in the kitchen. I really hope I'm overreacting.

"He said you were a bad seed, that you should never have been born." She moves closer and it's clear someone is controlling her. Her movements are stiff, robotic. A deep sadness settles on my shoulders; I just wanted one last good memory and it looks like Grayson is going to ruin even that.

I reach for the knife block that I see out of the corner of my eye. She lunges towards me and tries to grab one of the knives. I pull hard on the wooden block and all the knives fly out, clattering to the ground. I reach for the closest knife which is far too small, a paring knife. Fear mingles with relief. I can't kill my mother; I won't be able to do it. She chased the biggest knife across the room and she examines it in her hand, almost as though she doesn't recognize it before starting towards me.

"I have to cut out your evilness."

Tears well up in my eyes and slowly slide down my face. "I can't kill you, Mom. I won't kill you."

She reaches me and she pulls back her hand, the knife catching the sunlight. As she leans in, I duck and drive my knife into her shoulder. I scramble around her as she cries out in pain and I sprint for the door. As I run down the steps from my house, I hear her screaming. I hope that Grayson leaves her alone now. My feet are hitting the pavement hard and I'm glad I wore running shoes this morning. I'm headed in Maizie's direction, scanning every street, seeing danger everywhere and praying that nothing has happened to her as well. I hear tires squeal and Maizie's car turns the corner and heads for me. I wave my arms frantically to flag her down, but the car accelerates and it's only then that I notice the drive. I freeze, unsure of where to go. The car skids to a stop inches from where I stand and Mason opens the driver's side door.

"You didn't hit me." I think I'm in shock. "Are you – are you here to kill me?"

He motions to Maizie who is unconscious in the backseat. "I didn't do it. I found her this way. You guys have stirred up a shit-storm of trouble. I thought you might be in trouble as well."