Night Visit - Part 5

I can't concentrate on my English homework and I keep trying to get Maizie to answer my texts or accept my chat requests. She won't respond. I toss my book further down the bed and flop back onto my pillows. I've had enough of her ignoring me. 

I once scouted a way to break into her house as a precaution. I glance out my ground floor window. It is late enough that her parents might already be sleeping. It's a risky move and probably not necessary. I never considered her a true friend. She was right when she accused me of treating her like a convenience. Now that I can't talk to her, I miss her.

I throw on a black sweatshirt and an old black jacket that I use for my covert trips around town. I am just about to duck out my own window when I hear footsteps coming down the hall.

"Hannah?"

I stop halfway through the window and pause. I didn't hear the doorbell ring. How could he possibly be standing outside my bedroom door?

"Ryan?" I try to slide myself back into my room and close the window as quietly as possible. "What are you doing here?"

"Can I, can I come in? Your mom said it was okay for me to come in," he says through the door.

I swing the door open and stare at him, feeling my pulse start to race. God, he is gorgeous; fireworks and all the stars in the sky can't even compare. I let my eyes wander over him, taking in his broad shoulders, the muscles that are well-defined and athletic. I meet his blue eyes again.

 He is dressed all in black and I find it hard to believe he's come through the front door dressed like a burglar. He's looking me over and then continues to stumble through his words. At first, it was adorable, but now it's just frustrating. I miss his self-confidence.

"Oh, sorry. Were you heading out?"

I look down at my own outfit, clearly more suited to the outdoors. "Um, no, I was just...cold." I pull the black jacket tighter around my middle and move back to let Ryan enter the room. "Does my mom really know you're in here? It feels pretty unlikely that she'd let a boy come in here."

"She seems to think I saved your life at the party." He pauses. "And I told her that we were studying for a test tomorrow; I really need your help."

"Oh."

"She thought you were up here doing some reading for English?" He looks around my room and then meets my eyes again. I'm a deer in the headlights. Clearly, I'm not reading.

"Ah, well..." I trail off, looking at where I tossed the book on the bed. Why is this so awkward? I try to think of a way to ease the tension, but I don't really know why he's at my house, in my room, without any notice.

"Can I shut the door? My parents have a rule about that..."

I shrug. "I wouldn't know. This has never happened." Despite my resolve to remain cool, heat creeps up my throat at the admission that I'm less than popular with the boys. I look around the room, wondering where I can possibly put him other than my bed. There is the desk chair, but it's piled with books and clothes. "Did you want to sit down?"

He pushes the door closed and takes a seat on my bed. He turns to face me but looks bewildered. He takes a deep breath. "Truthfully, I don't really know why I'm here. I decided to go out for a drive, but ever since last weekend I just can't stop thinking about you." He pauses. "Is that weird? That's weird, right?" 

He puts his head in his hands and rubs his fingers through his hair quickly. "I'm going to sound like such a stalker and I've tried to talk myself out of speaking to you about a billion times this week. Even though I don't know you at all, I feel like something clicked when I saw you fall from that water tower."