Part 2 - Trying to Fall in Love...

.The next day Grace went to meet her friends Avanti and Ridaa. Grace was happy and excited, as always but that morning, there was a sparkle in her eyes. She said, "Avanti, Ridaa, I have something to tell you both!" They both asked in unison what it was. "It is about a guy!" she said, with excitement. Both of them gushed, and said, "Tell us, what is it?"

Excitedly, Grace said, "Last night, Daddy took us out for dinner. There, this guy kept looking at me. And there was something about him, that I could not understand. He even did not pay attention to Julie, otherwise you know how it is with men and her! And he came over to talk to me when I was leaving." Grace stopped, just to try and recollect that moment of their small conversation! The friends were both impatient. "Tell us Grace, what did you talk?"

Grace said, "Umm... Well, I could not talk much... but I have his number!" She waved the piece of paper at her friends. They both gushed, and said, "Give it to me, give it to me!" Grace created some more excitement, and finally gave it to Avanti. "Let's call him..." She said. 

Avanti took out her phone and called the given number. The rings went by but no one received. Then, Ridaa said, "Let me try." She dialed from her phone, but again no response. Now the girls were all disappointed. Grace said, "I guess, we are not meant to talk!" Avanti and Ridaa suggested she call him up. Grace was reluctant. But luckily for her, just as she dialed, the call was received in less than three rings. Grace had not expected her call would be answered, so she got a little nervous and started stammering.... "Er, umm... Hello... Steve?" Steve said, "Hey, I just knew it, you would call... Isn't it my bad luck, I could not even ask you your name, last night?" Grace laughed gently... "Grace! Grace D'Sa" she said. 

Steve said, "Lovely! You are as good as your name. Graceful is the best adjective for you. I was just stunned by your simplicity, your grace. I have never seen someone like you before, Grace!" he said. Avanti and Ridaa were staring at Grace, and signalling her to ask what he was saying. Grace just waved at them, to signal them to wait. "Steve... Thank you... Mmm, I have never seen you before. We have visited this restaurant for many years now, and see most faces, known. But you.... Are you new here?" Steve said, "With grace, you also have smartness, girl. Yes, I am new here. I am here at my uncle's, for a short trip. Last night, I was at the restaurant for...." 

Grace asked, "For? For what?" Steve was hesitant at first, and then said, "Grace, can we meet? I want to meet you. I know, it is strange...but...." 

Grace said, "Steve... I think.. meeting is a little difficult. I am at home most day.. .At least until I start college, next month. So, can't make it. But we can talk over the phone, or message! I hope you understand." 

Steve said, "Cool. I understand. And, so... You are only 16?"

Grace was shocked, then she said, "How do you know?" 

"Silly! You are getting into college next month, right?" said Steve. Grace smiled at her own foolishness. Then she said, "What do you do? Where are you from?"

"Well, my name is Stephen Lobo! I work for an MNC in Delhi. I am here at Charles Lobo's house. Don't know if you know him! I am here for... well, to meet a girl who my uncle has chosen for my marriage!" 

Grace was literally dumbfounded at that! Steve did not look like he was old enough for marriage! And Grace was not happy one bit. She said, "What? I really thought you must be in college... you don't look like you are old enough for marriage!" 

Steve laughed aloud. "Haha! You are sweet! I am 24, my dear! I passed college 5 years ago!!" 

Grace was mighty upset. She said, "I see... Okay..." There was a silence. Then Steve said, "Last night I was at the restaurant to meet her, but she called in late, and arrived much after you left."