Part 13 - Taking The Reins Of Future, In Hand...

The night was long. While Hannah was sleeping near Edward's dead body, Johnson lay in his bed, waking up from time to time. He was worried and tensed because his father's untimely death threatened him with added responsibilities, which he was not yet prepared for, mentally. Grace, when in the solitude of her room, kissed her father's photo and cried for a long time, before falling asleep. When she woke up, though, she was fresh and strong, with no sign of tears. 

She made a few calls, and arranged for the burial all by herself. She served a simple breakfast of bread and butter, with hot cups of tea for Hannah and Johnson, while she had milk with bread. There was an unusual silence in the house. By afternoon, Grace said, "Mother, get dressed. We are going to the burial ground." She looked at Johnson and said, "Johnny, will you be able to drive, or should we go by a taxi?" Johnson was so proud of Grace's understated tone. How mature his baby sister had suddenly become. He smiled, and drew strength from her. "No, sis. I will drive. Are your friends coming along too?" Grace did not know, and she shrugged. Just then there was a call. Johnson picked the phone. It was Ridaa. "Hi, Johnny. Ridaa here!" Johnson wondered if the call was for Grace or him. The two events where Johnson let go of his inhibitions and embraced Ridaa, had ignited a few sparks inside him, though he was not aware if Ridaa felt likewise too. It was neither the time for it, nor the situation. So, he did not ask. He said, "Hi.. Just a moment, Grace is in her room, I'll call her!" "No, Johnny, I called for you!" said Ridaa. Despite the situation, Johnson smiled to himself. "I was wondering, how you are! So, just thought of checking on you!" she spoke politely. Johnson said, "That's so thoughtful and kind of you. Yes, I am fine. To be honest, Grace is my pillar!" Ridaa smiled. "I know.. My friend is a different person altogether, now!" Johnson smiled. "Are you coming for daddy's last rites?" He asked. Ridaa said, "Yes, I am. Along with Ammi and Abbu!" Johnson nodded. "Alright!" There was silence for a long moment. Then, Ridaa said, "Okay, bye!" They hung up. 

The burial was scheduled for 3 p.m, but neither Grace nor her mother or brother were hungry. They all skipped lunch. At the burial ground, when the priest prayed, silent tears flew from Grace's eyes. Hannah was grieving too much, and time and again, she could visualize the various happy and sad moments that she had spent with her beloved husband. She kept crying from time to time, remembering Edward, and imagining how her life would be now, without him. As if the blow of daughter's untimely death was not enough, she had to bear the pain of losing her partner, her husband, her soul mate. Their lovestory had begun young, and she had always dreamt of spending her older years with him. She could not bear to see him gone, leaving her in the lurch. 

Johnson was not crying on the outside, but in his heart, he kept speaking with his father. "How will I be able to take care of mom and Gracie? How will I fill in for you? How should I handle finances?" etc... There were so many questions, but no answers. He was lost. 

Grace spoke to her father, too. "Daddy, I am your little girl, but I assure you, I'll be the Big & Strong Girl of your favorite story now. I will miss your storytime. The way you used to pamper me. The way you have taken care of me.. the way you have always stood by me.. The way you took care of all our needs... I shall try and be as much like you, as I can. But, if I can't, promise me to hold my hand, daddy!" She cried, with a silent promise of not crying in front of anyone, so that her strength and courage motivates her mother and brother too. 

After the prayer, the burial took place. They buried Edward next to Juliet's grave. It was so ironical, that two members of the D'Sa family, had departed to be with Him, in a matter of two days. While one passed away on the tenth December, the other passed away on the twelfth. Grace was sadder still because this meant no celebration of Christmas, no celebration of Johnson's birthday which was in the coming month. In fact, she was now thinking if they would ever be able to celebrate Johnson's birthday, without remembering Julie. She decided to broach the topic soon.