Part 17 - Lost Love... Leads to Lost Friendship...

Ridaa slept late in the night, rather, morning. So, she could not wake up early for her morning prayers. When she woke up, her father stood beside her. red-faced. She was alarmed upon seeing him. "Abbu, what happened? Is everything okay?" She asked. 

Akbaraly said, "Ridaa, I am seeing you are losing touch with your ethnicity. I am seeing too much external influence in your behavior!"

Ridaa said, "No, Abbu.. I was .. I slept late and ..." 

Akbaraly dismissed her midway as he asked, "When does your college get over? I mean, last working day?" Ridaa shrugged. "I am not sure. Our exams are in April, I guess. We don't yet have the dates!" He said, "You and Rehana, along with your mother, will leave for Lucknow on the first of May. I will wind up everything here and join you guys few days later." Ridaa was listening intently, but her eyes were moist. Her father chose to ignore that. "Abbu, do we have to go? Is there no other way?" He shook his head. "Ridaa, your mother and I, both have relatives there. Family is there. It only makes sense we stay with our people. We hardly have anyone here!" He was explaining. Ridaa was not convinced. "And what about my friends, my studies, my life?" Akbaraly lost his cool. "What about it?" He asked coldly. "Abbu, I have some dreams. How can we leave from a place just like that? All the way from south to north! All of my dreams, my wishes, everything goes down the drain just because you want to stay around your relatives?" She was loud. Her voice had brought her mother and sister around the room. 

Without a warning, Akbaraly stepped forward and slapped Ridaa across her face. "You are my daughter, and a girl. Your voice and your eyes - keep them low." 

Akbaraly walked out, and his wife and younger daughter, stood there distraught. Ridaa started crying, and her mother came close to her. "Why do you challenge him when you know he gets upset?" Ridaa said, "You stop blaming me, Ammi. I hate this dominance. And you have only flattered him further, with your obedience. But I, I am also Ridaa Akbaraly, I won't take this lying down!" She was determined. Her mother said, "What do you plan to do?" Ridaa said, "We will see!" 

Grace and Hannah left for early morning mass, at the church, as they had decided the previous night. They had wanted to do this for peace, but they were in for an unpleasant event, as the Father of the church prevented Hannah from entering the church. "You have sinned, and you are unwelcome in the kingdom of Lord!" He said. Both Hannah and Grace stared at him, as he recited the entire event of the previous night. "I know it all, he told me. And lady, its not he who is at fault, but you!" His accusation was hurtful. Grace tried to reason it, "But, Father... Mom truly loves and misses my father. But we can't see her sad, so we asked her to wear ..." The Father dismissed her. "You are not above Lord. You have sinned, too! The Church does not allow sinners!" He stood at the door without budging. Grace said, "Father, but, Jesus calls us all His children. Me, mom, you... we are all His children. How, then, can you prevent us from entering?" The Father said, "I am the Lord's messenger, and I act as per His will. This woman has sinned, and she would be punished by not blessing her with His words of wisdom, till she rectifies her faults!" He was off-handed in his approach. It irked Grace. "Father, we pray in our hearts, in our homes, and in all times and places. We don't need Church for this at all! Thank you, but no thank you. My mother shall not rectify anything! You, and Cafe Mondo owner, can just do whatever you wish!" She held Hannah's hand, and they walked away. 

Hannah was sorry, and feeling miserable. She kept cursing herself for having been this revolutionary. But Grace kept asking her to relax and that they were on the right track. On her way, Grace saw Ridaa. She was crying, and walking towards Grace. "Ridz.. what happened? Is everything alright?" Ridaa said, "I am fed up. Of my father. Of his ways. Of everything!" Grace and Hannah asked her what had happened, and she cited everything that was exchanged between her and her father. Grace said, "Ridz.. that's another issue I am working on! Promise you, there will be remedy for this, soon!" Grace went on to tell her about their church story, and Ridaa was irritated that men everywhere were trying hard to control women, by making rules that suited them and nurtured their one-upmanship, and dominance.