Part 15 - A Miserable Love Triangle...

Grace and Avanti had to leave Ridaa's place with disappointment. Grace had decided she would not let this rest easily. She came home and spent hours thinking on this, in her room. When Johnson returned home, in the evening, he saw Grace and mom cooking in the kitchen. He greeted them both. He saw Grace was a little low and not herself. He asked, "What happened, Gracie? You seem low!" Grace said, "Ridaa's father... He is getting on my nerves. I know that's not the right thing to say, but... " She stopped. Hannah continued. "Johnny.. Akbaraly bhai  wants to shift to Lucknow. And he is not asking opinions of the girl or his wife. And what's even more disturbing is the fact that he wishes to marry off Ridaa when she is about 18. He feels that's the right age for marriage!" She looked disappointed. Johnny was heartbroken hearing this. He decided to call Ridaa right away, and admit his feelings to her, so that may be that would help her get some strength. 

He went to his room, took his mobile in his hand, and dialed Ridaa's  number. Before the rings went by, he hung up. He was nervous. How would he talk to her? What would he tell her? And at this point in time, would his telling this be fruitful at all? He decided it was sensible to keep mum, and speak to Ridaa, later. He was feeling a bit nervous as well as sad. Just then his mobile rang. He picked it up, it was Avanti. "John... hi." He greeted her. She said, "John... meet me in a while, please! I am so low. I want to see you! I'll wait for you at the end of your road." She was so comfortable with him, she did not ask or request, she just said it. Johnson wished in his heart, he was that way, so that he would have been so comfortable with Ridaa. 

Avanti asked him, "You are coming, right?" Johnson said, "Umm.. err, yes. I ... I will see you, Avanti." "That's Avi, John!" she said. "Ahh...yeah, yeah. Got that!" They hung up. 

Johnson came down and told his mom that he was headed to meet Avanti. His mother smiled. Grace gave a surprised look. "Aha! Cool, bro!" Johnson frowned at them both. "Grow up!" he said, irritated, and walked out of the house. 

As he reached the end of the road, he saw Avanti there. She hugged him. Even before he could respond, she was crying. "Hey... what happened? Why are you crying?" "John... you know.. Ridaa.. she is my best best best friend. Like Grace and I and Ridaa... we are like sisters... I cannot ever imagine being away from them. When Grace was not with us... for a few months... Ridaa and I came even closer...." Johnson was a tad surprised..."Grace was always with you, right?" Avanti bit her lip immediately.. "Yea...yes.. I mean.. Ridaa and I are closer than Grace and myself! Don't mind..." Johnson said, "Ah...that's fine. I am beyond that. But now tell me, why are you crying?"

Avanti said, "Ridaa is moving to Lucknow, soon. I don't think there is a way to convince her father... And without her.. shucks..its beyond my imagination!" 

Johnson was pensive. Avanti said..."I know... you must be wondering why I called you for all this! But you know, John... I had to, had to... speak my heart. And Grace is preoccupied with so much these days. And she is herself sad about this. What can I tell her? So, I just decided to speak with you. I feel lighter now!" Johnson nodded, but spoke nothing. Avanti said, "John.. are you upset that I wasted your time?" She asked. Johnson said, "No...no! Avi... even I have been heavy hearted about this. I don't know what do I call this feeling.. but you know.. I am... I feel.. I think I am ..." "What John? Just say it!" Avanti thought Johnson was about to admit some truth that she was eager to hear. Johnson said, "The time has not been right. But ever since Julie and daddy left us... Ridaa and I .. I mean.. we connected on a few occasions. I don't know what she thinks of me.. But I am... I mean, I feel attracted towards her. I think... I love her!" Avanti's world of dreams collapsed in a moment. She could not believe she was hearing this. Johnson continued, unaware of Avanti's reactions or feelings. "I am not sure if I would ever tell her this. But, ever since I heard of their moving, I have been disturbed as hell. Its crazy. I don't know how I got the courage to tell you. May be because.. truly I find a good friend in you. Avi, Ridaa also likes me, I guess. She called to check on me a few times, and also that smile, that care in her eyes, is quite evident. But she has not made it clear, and I am not that straightforward or outgoing to say it the way it is!"