Chapter 10

Josie sat quietly, idly stirring her coffee long after the sugar had dissolved, as she waited for David Hale to join her. She didn't think he'd suggest something so informal when she requested some of his time but she knew a relaxed and more personal setting would help open him up.

"I have to admit I was surprised when you called." He said as he sat across from her. "But I'm happy you did."

Drawing her head back she laughed a little and offered Hale her hand. "Not the greeting I was expecting."

"Ah," he chuckled, "Sorry. Good morning, Josephine."

"Good morning, David."

"I'm not naive enough to think you're here solely to talk to me." Dave spoke without a hint resentment in his voice, his expression relaxed and kind, as he looked across the table at her. "LEOs are hard to come by around here."

Josie cocked an eyebrow. "You mean Feds, particularly, not just law enforcement officers, I'm assuming."

"Maybe," he shrugged with a playful grin. "So, Agent, what's this about?"

With an airy snicker she fiddled with her coffee. "That shooting," she started slowly. "Honestly, it's been bugging me. You know how it is, Dave, your mind just goes with questions and theories. I just have nothing but my intuition to guide me."

"Guide you?" He asked with lighthearted suspicion before ordering himself a coffee once the waitress approached. "You're investigating the shooting? The one you asked me to rig?"

"Not rig," she said with feigned horror. "It's not like that and you know it."

"I know, I know," he graciously accepted his drink from the waitress. "You want my leads?"

"It's not like that," she said quickly. "I'm not trying to help Jax or Opie. You know law enforcement has that piqued curiosity whenever there's a crime locally. I just happened to be involved."

"It's cold," Hale said calmly. "Sorry."

Josie sighed and nodded. "Guess we're both disappointed by that."

"I was going to ask you for help, actually." He seemed anxious as he mentioned it. "Maybe you're old colleagues coul-"

"No," she said sharply. "This shooting isn't what they do, there is much more they can do than closing some BS drive by."

Seeing her defensive attitude, rather clearly, Dave sat back and his smile turned into a deep frown. "I didn't mean to upset or offend you, Josephine. I also didn't expect you to have them all come out, on the Tax Payers' dime. All I was hoping for was some access to their databases; they're much more comprehensive than anything I have."

With an embarrassed smile she nodded. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "There's a lot of emotion buried there."

"Your husband?" He asked in a gentle tone.

She nodded, "Mostly. You know, you did give yourself away. You have something, an inkling or a small clue, or else you wouldn't think you needed anything more than what you have access too."

Dave's shoulders slumped, "Shit," he hissed.

"Want to come clean?" She asked with a smug little smile.

"I'm not sure I can," he said sadly.

"You can trust me," she assured him. "I only quit because of my husband, I loved what I did until it got Aaron killed."

Sucking in his bottom lip he nodded and handed her the small note he'd written himself. "Do I have to decipher?" He asked as she read his incredibly neat penmanship.