Chapter 20

In no time at all after receiving the photo, Hotch arrived at Josie's, terrified and enraged. How could this have happened? He needed answers but the most brining question was if Josie was okay. He crouched down, tears in his eyes, and felt frantically for a pulse. There was one, albeit weak, and he let out a loud, pained moan.

"I'm sorry," he cried. "I should have been here."

When local cops, paramedics and the rest of the BAU arrived Hotch watched as they hurried Josie and Gemma, both still breathing, out of the house.

"What happened?" He snapped. "Where was your deputy?"

Hale sighed, "Dead. Throat slit."

"This is on me," Hotch muttered.

"Yeah, it is," Hale said as he pushed passed him. "Let's try to keep anyone else from dying."

"I'm heading to the hospital," Hotch announced. "If he's going to be anywhere it'll be with her. I'm no use here."

"Hotch," JJ called after him. "Why don't you send Spence and Morgan? Maybe take some space."

"I had years of space and look what it did," Hotch shook his head. "I need to do this."

When he arrived Opie and Jax were already there, pacing the waiting room, thanks to Hale. They were always on opposite ends of everything but Hale didn't like Hotch, his attitude or anything that that happened to Josie.

"I'm looking for Josephine Montgomery Hotchner," Hotch said to the receptionist. "In her husband."

"No, he ain't," Opie growled, "He's her ex."

"Well," the receptionist huffed, "We have time to clear this up while she's in surgery."

"Gemma Teller," Jax interrupted. "Anything on her? I'm her son."

"She's in recovery now," the receptionist smiled. "Someone will be out shortly to speak with you."

They were, a doctor came and explained Gemma would be fine after some recovery time. She was lucky, the bullet tore through her shoulder but the blood loss was what had made her lose consciousness rather than severity. Jax was guided back while Opie and Hotch waited, but it wouldn't be much longer.

"Josephine Montgomery," the doctor said looking for her family.

"Here," Opie said quickly. "She's my girlfriend."

"She's my wife," Hotch said forcefully.

Turning, Opie glared at Hotch. "She's with me."

"Don't play with me," Hotch growled.

"Until this get's cleared up, no one can see her, but I can tell you she came out of surgery beautifully," the doctor smiled. "The bullet entered her chest, damaged her right lung, but we were able to repair it and bring her blood pressure back up."

Both men showed equal levels of relief but they were eager to see her. "What will you need to let me back?" Hotch asked, his badge in his hand.

"This shooting is local," he said quickly. "I'll talk to Charming PD and we'll go from there."

"This falls under federal jurisdiction," Hotch argued. "We believe the shooting is tied to a case we've been investigating for years."

The doctor was visibly annoyed. "Get me proof,' he shrugged. "Court order, something official, but until then she's being kept safe. The shooter is still out there," he huffed. "How do I know one of you didn't hurt her, domestic issues are pretty obvious."

Hotch couldn't believe the doctor's gall but he had no time to express his outrage before shots rang out from further within the hospital. "She's being kept safe," Hotch growled as he moved down the hall with the doctor close behind. "Where is she?"

"Second floor," the doctor shouted. "Room 232."

Following the security guards up the fire steps, Hotch bolted toward Josie in hopes of saving her, helping her after years of leaving her to flounder and suffer alone. Seeing the plaque a few rooms up he hurried passed the others and burst into the room to see Opie, gun drawn, and a dead man in surgical scrubs.

"What happened?" Hotch asked angrily. 

"This your guy?" Opie kicked the body and rolled him over onto his back revealing the blade beneath him. "Cause he was just about to slice the shit outta Josie, because of you."

Hotch looked at the man and nodded, recognizing the face he'd obsessed over for years, as he began to cry. "That's him," he sighed. "Thank you for being here. I'm not too proud to say that."

With a menacing expression, Opie huffed and rolled his eyes. "While you were fighting with that goddamn doctor I came up here, it's time to stop worrying about the goddamn rules before she gets hurt again."

Hale arrived moments later and cleared the room, the coroner removing the body as statements were taken and evidence collected, and after hearing all accounts made a bold move. "I'm barring you both from the room, Agent Hotchner if you have an issue, take it to the judge. For now, I think this girl needs some goddamn peace."

Opie sulked but did as Hale ordered, knowing he'd lock him up if tried to sneak back in but Hotch wouldn't accept it. 

"I'll do that, you'll be seeing me soon, Deputy."