Chapter 22

Dead.

That's the only way to describe how I felt on the inside.

It had been about three weeks since I left the hospital and I felt no better. How could I? All I wanted to do was lay in bed and sleep away my sorrows, only getting up to shower and use the bathroom.

I took my pain meds when the pain became unbearable or when Aiden forced me to. He tried on many occasions to get me to do something other than lay in bed all day, but his attempts ultimately went unanswered. Not wanting to push me too hard, he would leave me alone until another time.

I had been staying at his condo ever since I got out of the hospital. All of my things had been moved out of my apartment and all the time and money I had spent on it went to waste. And to add insult to injury, I once overheard Aiden on the phone talking about how the guys that shot me also stole and burned my car. I was back at square one.

I had nothing.

The bright sun was shining through the floor length windows as if the devil himself was trying to burn me alive.

I sat up and a surge of pain shot through my back. It wasn't as bad as it was a few weeks ago, but it let its presence be known, for sure.

Getting out of bed, I went into the bathroom and stripped of my clothes preparing for a shower. Once all of my clothes were off, I turned to look at the hideous scar in the mirror.

I really didn't understand why thugs and rappers bragged about being shot, the shit wasn't fun.

Ripping my gaze from the sight before me, I stepped into the piping hot shower and enjoyed the little break I received from my depressing thoughts. I attempted to scrub away all of the dirt that I felt was on my body. Even though I rarely left the bed, I still felt as if I was filthy.

About thirty minutes had passed before I got out and went back into the bedroom to get dressed. I threw on a pair of grey joggers and a nike t-shirt before closing the automatic window shades. I took two of the prescribed pain pills so that I wouldn't have to deal with Aiden later and got back into bed and pulling the covers over my head.

Not long after, there was a light knock on the door before I heard it open.

I paid it no attention until I felt a dip in the bed beside me. I peeked my head out and came face to face with Miss Belle.

"Hey baby." She said softly while rubbing my leg.

"Hey." I managed to croak out, barley recognizing my own voice from lack of use and excessive crying.

"How are you feeling?"

I shook my head not really wanting to talk about it.

"Come on downstairs so I can get you something to eat."

"No, thank you. I'm not hungry." I responded, prepared to go back to sleep.

She shook her head. "You're hungry, you just don't have an appetite. Come on now." She stood from the bed and held her hand out for me to take.

Arguing with her was like arguing with a wall, so I gave up and took her assistance. She led me downstairs where the smell of a home cooked meal instantly seeped into my nose.

How long had she been here?

The further down the stairs we got, the louder the voices became. Soon enough, we had ascended all of the stairs and a mini get together was in front of us.

Almost as if he sensed me, Rocko stopped playing with his toy and sprinted over to me jumping all over my legs and licking my feet.

I guessed someone missed me.