Chapter 28

I couldn't sleep a wink to save my life. The conversation that I overheard Aiden and Deuce having was weighing heavily on my mind.

Aiden had yet to come back, and I figured he was staying at his own place tonight.

I had propped up a mountain of pillows in an attempt to get comfortable for the hundredth time, when I heard the front door open and close. My bedroom door opened shortly after, allowing a slither of light from the hallway to shine in. Without looking in my direction, Aiden walked straight into the connecting bathroom and took a long shower.

Once he entered the room, I sat up. He seemed surprised to see me awake.

"Why are you up, Love? It's," He looked at his watch, "almost 4 o'clock."

"I need to talk to you."

A worried looked washed over his face.

He got into his side of the bed and turned his attention to me. "What's going on?"

"That's what I was hoping you'd tell me, Aiden." I was tired of all of the secrets and tired of everyone walking on eggshells around me. I needed answers -- and fast.

"What do you mean?" He scrunched his face as if he were confused.

"Please stop. If we're gonna do this," I pointed at the diamond on my ring finger, "I need you to quit hiding things from me. I'm a big girl. I can handle it."

He let out a deep breath and ran his hand down his face. "Devyn-"

"Let me stop you right there." I interrupted. "If the next thing that comes out of your mouth is a lie, you can have this ring back and you can just leave."

"Can we please just talk about this after I get some sleep? Baby, I am tired."

"No, because I'm not gonna be able to sleep."

He laid back on the bed and closed his eyes. When he didn't say anything, I slapped his bare chest, hard, causing an echo to ring throughout the room.

"Fuck, Devyn!" He yelled out rubbing the spot on his chest that I had hit. My handprint was bound to show up soon.

"Fucking answer me then." I yelled back at him.

"What do you want me to tell you?" He asked, lowering his voice a few octaves once he saw that I wasn't backing down or letting him escape the conversation.

"Anything that you haven't, so everything."

He let out a deep breath. "It's too much to cover."

"Well," I held up my left hand once again, "we have a long time to get through it all."

. . .

The sun had risen hours ago and Aiden was still trying to explain everything to me. I had really underestimated how complicated all of it was. Every detail had either multiple parts or some complex backstory to go along with it.

My head was spinning.

Suddenly, Aiden's phone began to ring and he turned his body slightly before scooping the device off of the nightstand.

"Speak." He listened intently as the caller babbled about something before hanging up without a word.

He then turned his attention back to me and just stared into my eyes as if he were looking for something.

"What is it?" I asked through a yawn.

"Do you know who Tony is?" He asked with a bit of skepticism.