Chapter 34

"Nice to meet you both." I responded after shaking both of their hands.

The girl that introduced herself as Lola momentarily looked past me and her eyes got wide with excitement.

"Ace!" She exclaimed before bolting in his direction. She wrapped her arms around his neck and held onto him for dear life. Aiden hid it well, but I could tell he was uncomfortable.

"Uh... hey Lola." He finally responded after a long awkward pause.

Deuce must have noticed the awkwardness as well because he immediately called for Aiden to come outside with him. Aiden pried her arms off of him and excused himself from the group.

Weird.

Everyone, with the exception of Aiden and Deuce, went on to help set the table and sat down to eat.

"Where are those boys at?" Miss Belle questioned the table after about five minutes of waiting for them to return.

"I'll go check." Lola stood up a little too quickly for my liking.

"Actually," I cut her off, "I think I'll go." I stood from my seat and left the dining room.

All the signs as to why Aiden was acting so weird pointed directly at her and I wanted to know why.

I walked out the door leading to the backyard and instantly spotted the pair sitting next to the glass fire pit. The closer I got, the stronger the smell of weed got.

This girl must have really had him feeling some type of way because he hadn't smoked weed since before AJ was born.

"You know you didn't have to come all the way out here. You could've just said you didn't want to share." I spoke up once I was in earshot.

I walked up to Aiden and he handed the blunt to Deuce.

"Your mom wanted you guys to come in and eat."

They nodded before turning to walk towards the house. I grabbed Aiden's arm and held him back, allowing Deuce to walk into the house.

"What's wrong with you?" I questioned once the door closed in the distance.

He shook his head looking past me.

I grabbed his chin and pulled it down so that he was looking at me.

"Don't start lying to me now. Tell me what's going on. I know it has something to do with Lola, that part is obvious. Who is she and what'd she do to you?"

He shook his head again.

"Well, we're not going in until you talk to me." I stated definitively, crossing my arms over my chest.

He blew out a breath of air. "She's my ex."

You can't get mad, Devyn. This was before you.

"Okay, and what is she doing here, exactly?"

"I don't know. Her parents have been cool with mine since before I was born, so them being here ain't that much of a surprise. But, Lola hasn't been in town in... I don't know how long." He rubbed his hand through his hair. "We just gotta be cordial for a couple hours, then-"

"I dont." I corrected him. "I don't know these people."

My outburst caused him to laugh a little.

"You have to be on your best behavior," He wrapped his arms around me and bent down to my level, "or daddy is gonna be forced to spank you when we get home." He followed his words with a kiss to my shoulder.