Chapter 32

From the moment we walked into the correctional facility, everyone was on edge. The receptionist took one look at us and it looked as if she had seen a ghost.

"Excuse me. I'm here for Erin Yanis."

The old lady stared straight past me at who I presumed was Aiden.

I waved my hands in front of her face. "Hello?"

She snapped out of her trance and brought her attention to me.

"I-I'm sorry. What can I help you with?" She was talking to me, but I could tell she was shaken up by the way she kept stuttering and looking past me.

"An officer Gilbert called me about my sister, Erin Yanis. Who do I need to talk to about that?"

"Uh... um, I'll call her down here for you."

I nodded as she turned and fumbled with her desk phone.

I turned to Aiden to see him leaning against the nearby wall buried in his phone. I walked over to him and he put his phone away as I wrapped my arms around his torso.

"What'd they say?" He questioned, wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

"She's calling the woman that I talked to earlier out here." I muffled into his jacket.

I was exhausted and I just wanted to get this over with without all of the theatrics.

Moments later a short, stout brown skin lady walked up to us.

"Hi. You must be Devyn. I'm Officer Gilbert, I spoke to you on the phone." She held her hand out to me and I extended mine in response.

She looked at Aiden and her facial expression turned sour.

Everyone must've known or heard about him because he got a reaction from seemingly everyone in this place.

"Ace." She stated shortly.

Aiden slightly chuckled at her sly attempt to rattle him, but didn't respond.

She turned her attention back to me. "If you would follow me, I can take you back to where little Gabriel is."

Gabriel.

I nodded before pulling myself out of Aiden's grip and following her through a series of hallways. We walked and walked until we reached what resembled a hospital room. Stepping inside, the room felt cold and empty. My hands got clammy just being in there.

There were plain white walls, hardly any furniture, and a large, white curtain hanging from the ceiling that served as a divider in the middle of the room.

At the sound of footsteps, there was stirring on the other side of the white curtain and it sounded like chains were rattling.

Officer Gilbert pulled the curtain back revealing a disheveled Erin, hooked up to multiple machines. Her face was swollen and covered in black and blue bruises.

My blood began to boil and I saw nothing but red.

"What the fuck happened to her?!" I yelled, causing Erin and Officer Gilbert to jump.

"You need to lower your voice, Miss Yanis."

"No, you need to tell me what the fuck happened to her." I gritted.

I'm sure she saw the seriousness on my face and decided to pick a different way to approach me. She cleared her throat before speaking up again.

"Well," She started in a much softer tone, "Erin here was involved in somewhat of a scuffle which caused her to go into labor prematurely."