1

Zayn wakes up with a start; sitting straight up in bed. He was was covered in cold sweat and his chest was heaving. With a sigh, he runs his fingers through his hair and pulls it away from his face, breathing heavily as he squeezes his eyes shut.
     Liam groans in his sleep then soon wakes up, blinking in confusion. The room was still dark and completely silent, except for the sound of Zayn's heavy breathing next to him.
     "Zayn?" Liam asks tiredly in the dark.  
"Go back to zleep Liam," Zayn says quietly.
"You woke me up," Liam comments as he yawns and rubs his tired eyes.
     "I'm zorry...." Zayn apologizes sadly as he shamefully stares down at the bedsheets.
      "Don't be sorry. What's going on?" Liam asks in concern as he rolls onto his side to look up at Zayn.
      "Nothing. Go back to zleep," Zayn mutters and shakes his head in embarrassment.
      "Zayn..." Liam starts.
       "Go back to zleep Liam!" Zayn says forcefully as tears begin to fall from his glowing green eyes. He buries his head in his hands and sobs loudly, unable to hide it any longer.
      "Aw, baby it's okay," Liam says quietly as he  sits up and wraps his love in a hug. He hated to see him upset, especially when he would cry. It broke Liam's giant caring heart.
      "Shhh... It's okay Zee. It was just a dream. You're okay. I've got you. You're okay," Liam says as he slowly rubs Zayn's back, trying to calm him down.
"I'm right here. It's okay. I promise," Liam adds comfortingly.
     Zayn shakes his head and climbs into Liam's lap where he curls up comfortably to cry openly onto Liam's shoulder. Liam pushes Zayn's hair back then places a soft kiss on Zayn's forehead and holds him tightly.
       "Liam...." Zayn whispers weakly as he rests the side of his face against Liam's chest.
       "It's okay, you were dreaming, my love. You were dreaming." Liam repeats patiently and Zayn's sobs gradually begin to soften.
        "Tell me what happened." Liam urges and Zayn sniffles then shakes his head.
     "It's just me zaynie. You can tell me if you want. It might help," Liam adds. Zayn nods and takes a long, stabilizing breath.
. "I-it was dark. Zo dark. We were in the forest with all the trees. Trees everywhere and We were just walking around in the dark. I saw something in the darkness and stopped to see what it was," He starts.
      "Did you ever find out what it was?" Liam wonders curiously.
     "No," Zayn and it's as he plays with the hem of their blanket.
"But..." Zayn starts sniffling again. "I turned around and went to grab your hand and you were gone. I didn't know where you went and I was all alone. And I... I was zo zcared. I screamed for you, but nobody answered."
"No..... My poor Zaynie. It's okay, it was just a..."
"No, its not just a dream!! Ztop zaying that!!" Zayn insists. "I was screaming your name but you weren't there you didn't come! You left me! I was alone and I was dead," Zayn says then starts sobbing again into Liam's chest, harder now than he did before. Liam frowns and he  knows it was more than just a dream. The memory of the past was still haunting Zayn  and wouldn't let him go.
Slowly, a single tear slides down Liam's cheek as his heart breaks. "I'm here Zaynie. It was just a nightmare. I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere," Liam insists before he kisses Zayn's wet cheek.
"But Liam.... You weren't there. You couldn't save me," Zayn insists quietly.
"Zayn, no matter what, You will always have me. And Watson's here too. We won't let anyone harm you again, okay?" Liam says as he rests his finger under Zayn's chin and Zayn nods slowly.
"I love you. And we're safe. We're home. And I'm never gonna let anyone hurt my boy again, do you hear me?," Liam adds and Zayn nods again as he tries to recompose himself.
      "I've lost you too many times before. Iwill not lose you again," Liam says quietly as he runs his fingers carefully through Zayn's long dark hair.
     "I love you Lima Bean," Zayn whispers as he stares at some far off spot in the dark room.
"Not as much as I love you," Liam insists with a joking smile.
"Don't ztart that again you ztupid donut...." Zayn replies with a faint, shaky laugh.
"You're the donut here, love," Liam smiles and rests his forehead against Zayn's and kisses his nose.
      "Don't let me go," Zayn whispers as he slowly rubs his thumb in little circles over Liam's bare chest.
      "I won't," Liam assures him as he rests his chin on the top of Zayn's head. "I'll never let you go again," Liam adds seriously.
"I'll protect you always," Liam adds.
"I can protect myself Liam," Zayn insists bravely with a sassy smirk.
"Oh can you?" Liam asks sarcastically as he looks down at Zayn who nods.
"So what was the past 5 minutes where you were saying i needed to help you and protect you?" Liam challenges with a playful grin.
"You said that yourself. And I can protect myself since obviously you won't always be there to do it for me," Zayn remarks sassily and Liam laughs in surprise.
"Just shut up and go to sleep Zed," Liam says with a laughs.
"Good night liyum," Zayn mumbles tiredly as he rests his head on Liam's chest and closes his eyes.
"Good night my beautiful boy," Liam replies as he slowly strokes Zayn's hair. Zayn grunts in amusement and smiles. Liam always had a way of making him feel better. Just hearing Liam's voice told Zayn that somehow everything would be okay. It was hard to explain. But he just felt safe.
     Zayn sits silently, just listening to the calming sound of Liam's gentle heart beat until he finally fell back asleep.
      Liam carefully lays Zayn down and pulls the blanket up over his body, tucking it in comfortably around him to keep him nice and warm. It had gotten much colder lately, and he didn't want Zayn to get sick or cold.
He kisses Zayn's forehead and sits back to watch him as he snores softly into his pillow.
       Zayn had gone through so much. The reoccurring nightmares were enough to drive anyone mad and served as a cruel reminder to the horror Zayn faced. Liam never did find out what happened to Zayn because he had never talked about it much in the past few months. Liam wouldn't dare to ask. If Zayn wanted him to know he would have told him.
      Liam lays on his side, curling his body into Zayn's. He drapes an arm protectively over Zayn's hip and gets comfortable.
His lips ghost over the nape of Zayn's neck, softly kissing his warm, bronze skin. Zayn sighs in his sleep and adjusts his weight a little bit, making Liam smile.
"Good night Zee," Liam says. "Sweet dreams my love," he adds as he closes his eyes to fall back asleep too.

This is such a basic way to start a story but that's okay because this whole story is gonna be so basic af.

And in case you didn't know, if you haven't been around these parts, this the sequel for my first story, Zalien Invazion. Because one story wasn't enough I had to go and add a second one for some reason...... But If you haven't read that yet you should read it because Its weird  and can give you something to do when you're bored!! :)

Thanks so much for reading :))