What Will Be

"Hermione?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you thought about what might happen after the trial?" Harry questioned over their cups of tea.

Hermione savored every drop of her tea, because there was truly nothing better than English tea. "How so?" she asked when she finished.

"Like if Malfoy were to be released. Have you thought about what might happen then?"

She set her cup down, "I assume you're asking where I've chosen to stay."

"You can stay with Ginny and I for as long as you want! The flat is a little small but it'll be enough to help you get settled here. You can find a job in the Wizarding World, and with your training and qualifications you wouldn't  have to worry about money. Hell, I can even get you a job at the Auror department. We could always use more brains-"

"Harry," she interrupted, "As lovely as that sounds, I just don't think I've decided where I want to be-"

"Is it because of him?"

She sighed, "I'd be lying if I said it wasn't."

Harry sighed and pushed aside their glassware. He took her hands and looked directly into her eyes. "As much as I know it'll hurt you to hear this, I feel I must be the one to say it out loud as your best friend," Harry started, "Even if he gains his freedom, it's going to be incredibly hard for him to get a job in our world, let alone to live here. No one's going to hire an Ex-Deatheater, especially him."

"But Blaise-"

"Had all his money to begin with. It'll be a whole other fight to get back his house and whatever was left of his inheritance."

"Draco's had someone take secret withdrawals out of his account for years-"

"Oh sure, that'll sound great in court!" Harry let go of her hands but held eye contact. "If there's a chance he can't get back his money, he  won't be able to find a job here. And whatever money you think you'll be making won't be enough to support the two of you. Just think of it that way, okay? Being free here is one thing, but living here is another."

"This isn't just about money and living, is it?" Hermione crossed her arms and looked at her friend begrudgingly.

"Not really."

"So what are you suggesting then?" Hermione snapped, "That he go back after everything we've worked so hard to do?"

"There's no place for him here anymore, Hermione."

"This is his home."

"This is your home, Hermione. Please think clearly about this."

Without another word, she stood abruptly from the table and hastily left the shop with her bag in hand.
________

Draco opened the bottle of whiskey and poured two glasses out for him and Blaise. "You paid for that?" Blaise questioned as his eyes looked momentarily away from his notes.

"Nope, but Potter will," Draco informed and placed the other glass out in front of his companion. The pair quickly downed the drink and although the effects were immediate, it didn't seem to phase them. "What I wouldn't give for a glass of Firewhiskey..." Draco said as he eyed his drink distastefully.

Blaise set down his quill and opening his briefcase, he pulled out a half empty bottle of Firewhiskey. "Don't tell my wife," Blaise warned and poured some into their glasses while Draco laughed heartily. Just then the door opened and Hermione walked in immediately spotting the drinks. "Glad to see you're enjoying yourselves," and abruptly headed for the bathroom, shutting the door violently behind her.