Only

He was gone in the morning. He must have left early. Hermione stared down at his duffel bag on the sofa. So he was coming back.

Hermione felt a headache coming on and raised a hand to massage her temple. And as if on cue, Ginny came to her side with a cup of tea.

"You look like you could use this," Ginny said gently and let Hermione take it from her hand.

"Thanks," Hermione mumbled as she took a sip.

"You know," Ginny said, "If you wanted to look in his bag, I could look the other way."

"Ginny."

"What? You know you want to."

"No," Hermione set her cup down on the coffee table, "I don't." She took a seat in the armchair beside the sofa, tucking her legs under herself and curling up.

Ginny sighed and set her cup down too. "It's alright," she said calmly and sat on the sofa, "There's nothing interesting in there anyway."

"You looked?!" Hermione's eyes lifted, "Ginny!"

"What? I wanted to know where he's been!"

Hermione scoffed in disbelief and waited for the redhead to continue. When she didn't Hermione asked, "Well?!"

"Well, what?"

"Where's he been?!"

Ginny smirked, "I knew you'd cave. Unfortunately, it was just a bunch of clothes. Not very telling."

Hermione huffed in annoyance and fell back into her chair. She laid her palm across her face and said, "I don't even know where he is today."

"He's with Harry."

"What?!" Hermione sat back up in shock, "Gin, why are you telling me all this now?!"

"I figured you wanted to take it easy. A little bit at a time!"

Hermione sighed. She was probably right.

"Well, where did they go?"

"They went to see Blaise about getting back Draco's inheritance," Ginny told her, "They'll probably be at the Ministry all day."

"Do you know if he has a chance of getting it all back?"

Ginny shook her head. "Harry's not sure. He says it'll be an uphill battle; but from what I hear, it's worth more than a shot."

"And then?" Hermione asked, "Well, what does he plan to do until then? Stay here?!"

"That wasn't my choice. You know that, Mione!" she told her firmly, "But Blaise might be able to take him in."

"Good," Hermione affirmed, "Better than having him sleep at the foot of my door like last night."

"He did that?"

"Well, I don't know how much he slept. I know I couldn't."

The pair sat quietly for some time. Ginny would have to leave for work soon. And Hermione would sure as hell be anywhere but an empty house at the moment.

"Mione."

"Hm?"

"I-I don't want to force you to do anything you don't want to do," Ginny started, "But I have to ask. Are you going to talk to him?"

Was she? Hermione spent most of the night asking herself that same question. Of course she would have to. But of the million questions that buzzed in her mind, she couldn't articulate one without bursting into a fit of tears.

Hermione felt a hand rest on her arm, and opened her eyes to see Ginny knelt down next to her. Her comforting eyes and warm smile told her she didn't have to answer that in that moment.

_______

She took her time at the shop today. She didn't work nearly as quick enough as she should be with less than two weeks before opening. But she couldn't stop dragging her feet across the room. Even when she used her magic, objects seemed to lull and take their time.

Why couldn't he have come after the opening? Or better yet, after a few months of being open where she could be in the rhythm of working in a bookshop again? Or....why did he have to leave at all?

She remembered reading his note that morning vividly. Her eyes burned as she read the same lines over and over again.

What I'm trying to say is, without sounding like a blubbering romantic, is that I think the universe has been trying to tell me that I'm completely and entirely in love with you.

But if I am to believe in this whole universe nonsense, then that means that....there's something I have to do. I don't know when I'll be back. But, I mean this when I say: don't find me. Not because I believe you're bound to - even though clearly part of you is - but because you don't have to keep finding the same road to get to me. Because, believe me, Granger, every road I take will always lead back to you.

Why wouldn't he want her with him? She would have gone...anywhere with him. But maybe that was the point.

She wiped her eyes when they threatened to cry again. Instead, she picked up her cleaning rag and moved to the shop window. If she was going to reminisce and cry all day, she may as well do it while cleaning.

_______

He saw her then. He ducked his head a little bit into his newspaper. But he was certain as day it was her. She wore that green and white flower dress she used to wear in Cherrywood. Back in Mary's bookshop. A giant wave of déjà vu hit him in that moment, but he pushed it down and continued to watch.

She let her hair grow out of that color she used to use. It was now the same light brown she had in school all those years ago. He'd never forget how stunning she always looked.

When Harry wouldn't tell her where she worked, it angered him. But he also understood why he was protecting her. He could respect that.

Then he went to Blaise. It took a higher amount of pleading that Draco would care to admit, but it proved successful. After telling Harry he needed to take care of things and would be back later, he stationed himself at the café right across the way. The only issue is that he'd been in that café for nearly four hours, and the owner was prepared to kick him out any second. Draco sighed and lowered his paper just as she stepped away from the window and further into her store.

If he tried to remember back to this moment, he wouldn't remember how his two feet got him up to the shop door.

He placed his hand on the door handle, and took a deep breath before pushing in.

Except. The door was locked.

He huffed. Of course.

He supposed there would be no other way to do this then.