Character

It had been too long since Hermione used this kind of magic. Apparation for long distance travel takes a particular kind of strength, one that she didn't know if she could muster after all this time. Still, she was the only one who knew where to find the evidence of Draco's character. Hermione put in her back a vial of Essence of Dittany, and a coaster from Blaise's office that she would turn into a Portkey upon her arrival. It would make it easier should they return. If they return.

As Hermione put away these items, Harry called out her name softly.

"Mione."

Hermione looked over her shoulder. She was well aware of how disastrous she looked. Her hair disheveled, sleeves still wet from her tears and constant wiping. But she wasn't planning on staying to see anyone back in Cherrywood. She'd be back within the matter of minutes.

"Yes?"

"I just..." he paused, "I just want you to know that, if this works...if we get him out of this and...you decide to stay with him. In America. That...it's okay." Hermione swallowed the nerve to cry in relief at this. She knew that he wasn't giving her his permission to be with Draco. That wasn't their style. But he wanted her to know that nothing about their friendship would change should she choose Draco. That no matter what, Harry would still support her.

Hermione quickly embraced Harry. Closing her eyes to savor the warmth of this friendship, knowing that he had forgiven her for leaving him so often.

It wasn't until Blaise entered the room that Hermione pulled away from him. She sighed deeply before pulling her gaze away from Harry and onto Blaise. Blaise nodded curtly. It reminded her of Draco so much, and how he was raised to be so reserved. She relished it for a moment before stepping back from them.

In a moment, Hermione was gone.

_______

The wave of her magic engulfed her. It reminded her of being swept up under the ocean's current, and being dragged by the riptide. She remembered not to fight it, no matter how uncomfortable it felt, and let it take her away and back to their home.

Her body hit the floor with a loud thud, and every part of her ached. The tips of her fingers pressed against the familiar wood floors of the living room. As Hermione moved to stand, she felt a instance wave of nausea hit her that had her rushing to the bathroom.

After a brief moment of post-apparation nausea, Hermione stood from the bathroom and looked about her. She could almost cry at the familiarity of it. Not that she had been gone long, but anytime away from Cherrywood was long enough for Hermione. She clung to the doorframe as she reminisced and let her body recover just for a moment, before remembering what she came for. She removed the coaster from her bag, along with a smaller pouch for it. Hermione set it on the ground and with her wand, muttered, "Portus," to the object. It glowed a bright blue for a moment, before materializing to its original state. She let it drop into the pouch and threw it back into her bag. She then turned to Draco's bedroom, which was left slightly ajar since they left.

Walking through the door, she settled upon the bookshelf to her far right, where the familiar moving photographs from the months before caught her attention. The last photograph on the shelf, the one that didn't move, made her sigh with relief. It was Mary and Draco, leaning against the counter of the bookshop. It was only then that it dawned on Hermione what could have been.

What would Draco's life have been like had Mary not stepped into the picture? He would have been nomadic. Jumping from town to town looking for the next place to lay low, where the Aurors couldn't track him. It was Mary who kept him grounded. Who gave him a place to call home. Hermione tilted her head and looked above her.

She'd never been one to believe in God or heaven or simply an afterlife. But she liked to think that if Mary was somewhere above her, that she'd like to thank her herself someday.

"Hermione?"

Hermione jumped at the sound of a familiar voice to her right. She placed a hand over the pounding in her chest as she was found by Abby, holding a watering can.

"Hermione, how are you here?" Abby questioned, "I've been outside this whole time. I didn't see your car pull up."  Hermione's eyes must have been frantic, as they darted back and forth between the empty spot on Draco's bookshelf, and Abby's confused gaze. Before Abby could look at the moving photographs, Hermione stepped in front of them.

"I, um, got a ride," Hermione said unconvincingly.

"Uh huh," Abby noted before setting the watering can on the side table, "Where is Drake?"

"He...is..." Hermione was at a loss for words. She felt the inside of her pocket, and grabbed the base of her wand. She didn't want to obliviate her, but what choice did she have?

"Hermione," Abby's voice called to her, far too calmly, "It's okay." Her gentle hand reached to Hermione's arm, the one that was reaching for her wand. Hermione's eyes widened.

"Abby, I-"

"Is he safe?" Her eyes showed great concern.

"Y-Yes," Hermione stuttered, "How did you-"

"I've known there was something off about Drake for a very long time now..." the old woman said as she took a seat on Draco's bed. She patted the space next to her, and Hermione sat with her. "A true troublemaker. The way he carried himself. The way he looked at us. Like we were...aliens, or something," Abby remembered, "Like he was from a different world. And I know, England isn't that far away."

Hermione couldn't help the warm smile that crawled up into her face. "You and Drake," she reminisced, "You're enigmatic. Like you walk on air. You could feel it too, you know....the magic."

She continued dreamily, "And then....when Molly told me that silly story of 'Barry something'..."

Hermione laughed, and Abby smiled. "I have lived long enough to see things that....well, I guess you would believe."

"Abby," Hermione stopped her with a hand over hers, "Drake is-"

"In trouble," Abby finished her sentence, "I've known that too. No one just waltzes into Cherrywood with nothing but the clothes on his back...and looking like...well, how he looks." Hermione grinned at the comment on his appearance. "And I knew that wherever you came from is probably where he came from too, seeing as you knew each other so well. He's lost his way since he last saw you," Abby said distantly, "And you came to bring him back."

"Actually," Hermione paused, "I like to think he brought me back."

Abby set her hand over Hermione's and squeezed. "I know you'll take good care of him," she told her warmly, "And take care of yourself too."

Hermione felt a tear roll down her cheek as she hugged the older woman.

As the pair walked out of the room, a patter of little feet came from the porch and into their living room. Hermione shut the door behind her just as she heard the yelp, "Hermione! You're back!"

Molly threw herself at Hermione's legs and wrapped her little arms around them. Hermione laughed and wiped away her tears before picking up the girl in her arms and embracing her. She cradled the back of her head against her shoulder, and tried with all her might not to weep. "I missed you," Hermione whispered. The little girl moved her head to look at Hermione. "Are you okay, Hermione? Where's Drake?" Molly asked.

"Drake is...alright. He's still in England. I just...came back to get some things," she tried her best to sound convincing.

"Are you coming back?" Molly played with the ends of Hermione's hair as she said this. Hermione set Molly down on the floor again, and knelt to look at her face. The cherubic face of a little girl who had more bravery than any Gryffindor she knew. More bravery than Hermione, because she didn't have the nerve to tell her the truth.

"Yes, I'll be back soon," Hermione kissed the top of her forehead, and let a tear stream down her cheek as she did.

______

Hermione watched as Abby and Molly walked hand-in-hand from their home down the familiar woodland path. She sighed as she held onto the porch column before turning back inside. Holding the base of her wand, she let the last of their memories seep into her as she apparated away.