3 ~ Quality Brother Bonding Time

Just as he had predicted, when Sans woke up, he had a headache, and he had an aching fatigue that came from lack of food, but at the same time he wasn't hungry.

At the very least, he was mostly comfortable, lying in his bed.

He lay there for some time, without moving, trying to counter his discomfort with the pleasing knowledge that he not only was in his own bed, but he didn't have to get out of it any time soon.

Eventually, he heard voices, and the sound of his bedroom door being opened.

"- be waking up soon," Gaster was saying, "if he hasn't already."

Sans shifted in bed and opened his eyes just a crack. A soft light was filtering in through his window, probably dusk. Gaster and Papyrus were walking in the door. Gaster was carrying a mug, which Sans assumed was the origin of the sweet scent he caught a whiff of.

When Papyrus saw that Sans was awake, he hurried over to the side of the bed, climbed up to sit beside Sans, and wrapped him in a hug. "Sans! You're awake!"

"heh. yeah. guess i am." After Papyrus released him, Sans pulled himself to sit up. The bright cheeriness of his brother alone was nearly enough to combat his headache.

Gaster sat down on the edge of the bed. He offered the mug he was holding to Sans. "Here. For your headache."

Sans smiled and took the mug. He gripped it for a moment, just enjoying the smell. It was warm and sweet, almost the smell of the flowers in the king's garden, or honey. Struggling over his total lack of an appetite, Sans lifted the mug to his jaw and took a sip.

"'s good. thanks." He lifted the mug again and this time took a big gulp.

Gaster nodded in response. "I thought you might like it." He paused a moment, in though, then continued. "Anyway, now that that's been taken care of, there's more or less nothing on your schedule for the next two weeks, so-"

"So we can do LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER!!" Papyrus shouted happily. "We can build puzzles and cook spaghetti and you can help me with Blue Magic and--"

As Papyrus continued with an obviously very well thought out list of things he wanted to do with Sans, Sans couldn't help but smile. All Papyrus really wanted was to just spend time with his brother. And Sans fully supported that.

"Hang on a second, Papyrus." Gaster interjected, a slight note of concern in his voice. "Your brother just got back from the frontline. I'm sure he's very tired, and he'll want to get a lot of rest while he can."

Papyrus's shoulders slumped and he turned back to Sans with a pleading look.

Sans couldn't. He just couldn't.

"hey." he pulled one hand away from the still-warm mug and set it on Papyrus's shoulder. "it's true. i do wanna get some rest. but, if you give me... oh, say, th' next two days to nap, laze, and generally loaf around, then as long as you take it slow, i promise we can do whatever ya want."

Papyrus's expression brightened. "Really?"

Sans grinned at his brother and nodded.

Papyrus practically lunged at his brother, almost spilling Sans' drink in his eagerness to hug Sans. "You're the best, Sans!"

Sans wrapped his free arm around Papyrus. "and you're the greatest, bro. just don't make me spill this."

Papyrus shifted to allow Sans to better hold the mug, but wasn't done hugging his older brother.

Gaster just smiled at his sons.

~o0o~

True to his word, Papyrus allowed Sans to spend the next two days in complete, utter laziness. He would even do nothing with Sans for as long as he could bear, after he got home from school. He only could stand to sit and do nothing for about thirty minutes before his boundless energy forced him to do something, but Sans appreciated the attempt nonetheless.