Part 25

Chapter 25

Peirce stared as the objects fell slowly to the floor.  The silence in the room was deafening, the atmosphere tense.  When he had first saw the objects in Ramsey’s arms, thoughts began flashing through his mind, old worries began anew, and worse, Peirce froze.  Even as he sat there, quiet as he was, he did not know what to do.  Were those clothes what he thought they were?  Was there another explanation for the clothing and toys in Ramsey’s arms? 

“Servant boy,” Peirce mumbled in denial. 

Ramsey shook his head, an almost sad expression on his face.  “Try again, brother.”

The fact that the man called him brother should have told Peirce that Ramsey was trying to ease his shock, trying to make him realize the truth, but he could not.  He could not think of the possibility, could not let his hope rise only to fall.  He had let that happen many of times.  When he was told of their deaths, he had searched where the carriage had been; looking for anything that may give him hope that they were alive, and he had found it in Elizabeth’s necklace, the necklace he still kept in his pocket.

His hand slipped into his pocket, wrapping around the pendant at the end.  Rubbing it with his fingers, he stared blankly at the things on the ground.  “It is not true.”

“Peirce,” Rose said, confusion in her voice.

He ignored her, more intent on hiding from the truth than listening to her reason.  “I must speak to Elizabeth’s mother.  In the meantime, mayhap both of you should find a place to retire.  It is late.”

He stood, leaving the two of them staring at him in shock as he left the room.  Winding through the halls that he had lived in for years, he made his way towards where he knew Elizabeth’s mother would be staying.  Even when he lived here, the woman had barely left her room, sad for her husband’s loss years before he met her.  Reaching the door, his knuckles rapped on it before he pushed it open, not giving her time to invite him in. 

She laid there, cheeks sunken, as they were when he left her.  Her hair, once vibrant was flat on her face, holding no life.  This is what the woman had become when her husband died, and she was the reason why he did not waste away when Elizabeth died.  He did not want to become her.

“Peirce,” she mumbled, a smile on her pale face.

He shook his head at her, feeling the anger he had kept hidden earlier.  “Why did you not tell me?”

The woman let out a harsh laugh.  “Why would I?” she asked, her laugh turning into a cough.

“He is my son!” Peirce yelled, slamming his fist into the door, making it slam shut.

Her eyes became wide; if possible, her face became paler.  “Where were you when my daughter died, when my grandson died?”

“Do not say he is dead, old woman.  We both know that he is not.”

Again, silence filled the room as he finally admitted it to himself, finally said the words aloud.  She shook her head at him, a blank expression on her face.  “He died the same day as my daughter.”

His hand curled into fists, letting the bite of his blunt fingernails keep him from lashing out in anger.  “Why?”

“Quite simple, boy.  Where were you when their death happened?”

Glancing away, he let the guilt he felt then come back to surface.  “Work.”

“Work?” she asked, another harsh chuckle escaping her lips.  “You call what you do work, chasing around females?”

“I find people,” he said through clenched teeth. “Not once did I break my vows.”

“That is not what Emily says.”

Shock froze him, making him narrow his eyes at her.  “What do you mean?”

“Did you know,” the woman purred, the tone sounding odd coming out of her dry, split lips, “Emily fell pregnant just days before Elizabeth’s death?”

His back hit the door, the anger he felt towards the woman now focused on another.  “I did not touch the chit.”

“I know,” Elizabeth’s mother said in a whisper, “but Elizabeth did not.  Those times you told her you must travel to London for work, Emily told her stories.”

“Stories that surely contain the reason why my wife tried to run from our marriage, taking our son with her.”

The old woman closed her eyes, blocking out all feelings towards her daughter.  “I apologize, Peirce.  I had attempted to contact you many of times, but another wanted you to never know.  If she could not have you, she wanted a part of you.”

“When did she become so cruel?”

Her eyes blinked open, revealing devastation.  “The day she lost you took a toll on her, but when she learned of her child, only to lose it days later, she broke.  Her mind is no longer sound, Peirce, you must remember this.”

“Why now?” he asked.  “Why did she contact me now?”

“Your mourning period is over,” Elizabeth’s mother mumbled.  “It is time for you to take your place by her side.”

The old woman’s eyes closed once more, but this time, Peirce knew that she would not open them for quite some time.  Even the short talk they had tired her, made her weak and sleepy.  Easing the door open, he quietly shut it behind him with nothing but a click.  His attempt to keep quiet was useless as another let out a shout.  Without waiting, he ran down the halls, ignoring the dust that coated them.

“Rose!” he shouted, stopping once he reached the study he had left moments earlier.

Standing in the doorway, was Emily, a serene smile on her face.  That was not what worried him though, what worried him was the pistol in her hand, a pistol that was pressed to the side of Rose’s head.  Tears ran down Rose’s cheeks as she stared into his eyes. 

“Emily,” he charmed, “put the weapon down.”

Her head whipped from side to side, sending her hair in different directions.  “Do not come any closer Peirce.  Ramsey attempted to stop me.  Let us just say it was not a wise decision.”

Eyes flickering to the prone body on the ground, Peirce finally understood the reason for Rose’s shout.  “Emily, let Rose free.”

“She did this to us,” Emily said in a devastated voice.  “You and I were meant to be together, since the beginning.  I had thought making Elizabeth leave this world would be enough, but you fell in love with her.”  The last word was punctuated with a yank to Rose’s hair.  “She only had to bat her eyelashes your way, and you forgot about Elizabeth, forgot about me.”

Her hand wavered, the moment he was waiting for.  Jumping towards her, he pushed Rose to the side as he slammed into Emily.  As they fell to the ground, a shot rang out through the study.  Below him, Emily stared at him with wide, tearful eyes. “I am so very sorry.”