Part 30

Chapter 30

Peirce glanced down at his son as they walked from the study.  He knew that the boy had questions, could see them lurking beneath his eyes.  He wondered if the lad was as he was as a child, if he was quiet until spoken to.  It was what a servant’s son did, kept quiet.  He stared at Phillip’s arm wrapped around his stomach.  Even with the boy not knowing who Peirce was as a person, he lent help.  Even when Emily had treated him wrong, he gave an alternate path for the woman.

“You are remarkable.”

“What?” Phillip asked, squinting up at him.

Peirce shifted his eyes away from him.  He had not realized the words were spoken aloud until Phillip spoke.  “You are everything that your mother would have been proud of.  You are a remarkable lad.”

“Am I everything that you would be proud of?”

Hearing Phillip’s voice crack at the end of the sentence, Peirce halted.  Standing there, beside his son, he realized something.  Phillip may pretend to be older than he looks, but the boy was as lost on the inside as Ramsey was.  Phillip dropped his arm to his side as Peirce turned towards him.  Leaning down to eye level, Peirce smiled.  “You are more than what I wished for.  You are kind, thoughtful, intelligent, and you are my son.  Nothing could make me more proud.”

Phillip blinked, before swiping angrily at his face.  “I should not show weakness.”

Peirce reached up, grabbing the boy’s hands from his face.  “Crying is not a weakness.  When I thought you gone, I cried for weeks.  When I found you again, my eyes filled with tears.”

“Thank you,” Phillip mumbled, yanking his hands away from Peirce only to throw them around his neck.  The lad hugged him, not letting go until minutes later.  “I had wished for your return, wished that you would be at least half the man that you appear to be.  I am happy you are here, happy that you will take me home.”

Peirce cleared his throat as Phillip pulled back.  Standing to his feet, he held his hand out for the boy.  He didn’t know whether Phillip would take his hand, but when he felt the boy’s grip, relief filled him.  “Will you be happy at my home?”

“Some days, I may, others I may not.”  Peirce smiled at the answer.  “I wish you would describe it to me,” Phillip continued.

“At the moment,” Peirce started, “I live in the manor which I cook at.  When you arrive, you shall realize that things are not as proper as they should be.  The master of the manor, Colin, is a dear friend of mine.  His wife is the most caring and stubborn woman you will ever meet.  They have a child, Cooper, and one more on the way.  A man by the name of William stays with them for the time being.  You will like William.  He is an amusing man.”

“Is that all?” Phillip asked with humor in his voice.  “How old is Cooper?”

“Four at the most, but he is quite like you.  He sees more than people believe; he just does not speak often.”

“The Mistress of the manor, what is her name?”

“Cassandra, she was once an Ashmore.”

Phillip tugged on his hands, making Peirce glance down at him.  “You are jesting?” 

“No.”

Phillip smiled.  “Mother has told stories of the Ashmore’s, how powerful their family is even though they hold no title.  It gave me hope that someday, even without roots, I would be able to prosper.”  He tugged on Peirce’s hand again.  “This way.  He lives in the stables.”

Peirce allowed the boy to pull him from the house and towards the stables.  A quick moment of doubt flew through him as they approached their destination.  Would Phillip lead him into a trap?  Would his own son pretend to be happy about his return only to cause him harm?  Peirce shook his head as they reached the stables.  The boy had an honest face.  If he were lying to Peirce, he would know.

“Joshua,” Phillip called out.  “I have guests who wish to speak to you about Mother.”

Stumbling noises echoed from the stable as curses flew into the air.  Finally, a man about Peirce’s height came into view.  “Excuse me,” he mumbled, looking everywhere but in Peirce’s eyes.

“I wish to speak to you about Emily.”

Joshua winced, but kept his eyes downcast, as a servant should.  “What is it that you wish to speak about, my Lord?”

Peirce smiled at the title.  “I am merely a cook. You do not need to bow your head for me.”  Joshua’s head snapped up, and for the first time, Peirce realized why the man would not want to show Peirce his eyes.  They were filled with hatred.  “I see that you know who I am.”

The man blinked, reining his emotions in.  “You must forgive me.  My feelings are uncontrollable at times.”

“It must have been hard for you,” Peirce mumbled in a comforting voice, “hearing Emily speak as if she loves me while you love her.”

“It was hard, aye, but days become easier as time goes by.”

Peirce stared at the man.  “It seems as if I owe you thanks.”

“For what?”

“For being a father to my son when I could not,” Peirce said, smiling at the man. 

A small smile pulled at the corner of Joshua’s lips.  “It was easy.  Phillip is a remarkable young man.”

Peirce nudged the boy, getting a small chuckle in return.  “So it has been said.”  He paused, wondering the easiest way to approach the subject they were both talking around.  “We leave tomorrow morn, but I want to be assured that Emily will be safe from herself in your care.”

Joshua paused, looking at Phillip with sadness in his eyes.  “I want your assurance that Phillip will be safe.”

Peirce held his hand out for the other man to take.  “You have my word.”

“And my word also,” Joshua promised.  Their hands connected as they shook on their words. 

Peirce knew that Joshua would not break his promise; he knew that leaving Emily with the man would be the best decision for them all.  Taking a deep breath, he dropped the man’s hand.  Now, he needed rest before another journey ahead.  As he walked back towards the manor, he felt relaxed when Phillip grabbed his hand.  It looked as if he would return in time for the birth of their new family member.  Squeezing Phillip’s hand, he smiled.  There would be two more additions to the family.  He just hoped that Phillip truly would be happy in his new home.