Learning to Fly

§§§§§

Sehun was back from wherever it was he'd gone. Tired of lying in bed Namjoo had gotten up to sit down. Back against the wall she imagined hearing him walk around his room before settling into bed. On the other side of the barrier that separated them, what was he thinking about? Her? Seona? About moving out and what he would do for the rest of his life?

This morning her parents had surprised her. She hadn't expected them to bring the topic of moving out so soon. Then again, she was glad they had done it today and not later. It was starting to become unhealthy for her living like this. She needed to smile a little more, laugh every day, and have the energy to actually do something.

Sehun would be out of her life for good once he graduated. The rest of her life would be hers to own without him. That was for the better she agreed. Seona and everyone else would disappear along with him. There would be no one to aggravate her. Her stomach would stop twisting and her heart would no longer drop or break. Perhaps something far into the future she would discover someone else to love, someone who would actually make her happier.

These thoughts calmed her somewhat through the night until she tired enough to crawl into bed to sleep.

Classes resumed the following day. She and Sehun returned to their regular schedules. For a month things remained empty between them. The semester would draw to an end soon. Thirty more days to go. Namjoo supposed Sehun would move out once winter hit then he would be out of her life for good. In her world the things that were supposed to be never were. For some unknown reason the unforeseen forces always worked against her.

Wang Taihee called her out for the first time since she'd given him her number a while back. It was a congratulatory meal for completing her first semester he said. She had to go no matter how busy she was, using the excuse that he would remain at the restaurant until it closed. When she arrived he had already ordered food for them and had already started eating.

"I wasn't sure you were going to come," Taihee said, "so I started first and decided I would eat another one until you showed up."

"It's all right," Namjoo said sitting down.

"You know Sehun doesn't like me, right? Was thinking he wouldn't let you come." Taihee snorted with what she thought was bitterness. Namjoo stared at him wondering why he had that thought. She had no idea Sehun disliked the guy. They were friends, she had assumed, since he was from Seona's side.

Without saying anything Namjoo lifted up her spoon to taste the broth of her soup. It was cold, but she continued eating anyway. Whatever she supposed, since she was out she better eat before returning home. It would be no use sitting in that kitchen soaked in silence with Sehun next to her.

"What, you have nothing to say about that?" Taihee asked with a raise of the brow.

What did he want from her?

Changing the subject, he questioned, "You want to hear a secret about what happened in Incheon?"

Dropping the foot of the spoon into her bowl of soup, Namjoo imminently glanced up at Taihee. Eyes wide with anxiety she stared. Did he know?

"Seona asked about something interesting," Taihee's eyes sparked mischief. Namjoo nearly gulped. "Right after you left to go buy drinks, Sehun excused himself from the room. She asked me, why Sehun cares so much about what you do. I didn't even notice, but now that I think back, he did seem pretty unhappy the entire time we were there." He laughed lightheartedly, "I told her not to worry about it, because you two are just bestfriends, right?"

Namjoo's throat became dry. She couldn't keep up with him. Was he telling her he knew she had had a one night with Sehun...behind Seona's back?

"I don't think Sehun would bat an eye at another woman when he has Seona. It just wouldn't be right," Taihee commented. "Seona really likes him, you know. His looks are top standard, but now she likes him even more. You know she graduates this semester? That means we won't be seeing her around campus anymore. That's a loss for Sehun, but then I hear they'll be moving in together. Something about getting engaged." He rubbed his chin teasingly, "Was that it or something else?"