CHP 4: The Ring

KALEL'S P.O.V.

This is it. Today is the day that I marry Anthony. I spoke to him a few days ago over the phone to confirm wedding plans. Now I had the shoes, the dress, perfect hair, and... Oh my God! I never got a new ring! How can I walk down the aisle now? I have to get a new ring and fast, but a girl can't shop for a wedding ring in her dress without suspicion...

I need Ian to get me a ring!

ANTHONY'S P.O.V.

I looked at myself in the mirror and had to wonder how I got here. I'd been questioning the wedding for about a week now, and Ian's comment at that time wasn't making this any clearer...

Maybe I should be your fiancé. What was he trying to say? Ian had always been there for me, much more than Kalel anyways. Had Ian developed feelings for me?

No. I can't imagine that. However, when I try to dash that thought from my mind, I feel a little hurt. Could I be developing feelings for Ian.

No! This is my wedding day. I need to get my shit together!

I saw that Ian was just about to walk in my tent when he was told that he was needed by the bride. Why would Kalel need him? He has to stay here to calm my pre-wedding jitters!

IAN'S P.O.V.

I've been questioning my feelings for Anthony for about a week now, but I couldn't let these thoughts get in my way today. I'm here to make sure that the wedding goes flawlessly... whether I think they should get married or not. I'm the best man after all.

I was about to go into Anthony's tent to calm his nerves, but a caterer pulled me to the side to say that Kalel had asked for me. Why would the bride wan to see the best man? I reluctantly headed to the brides tent.

"Yes?" I said as I entered the tent to see Kalel. She didn't look to good. For someone usually so finicky about her looks, she kind of looked like she had...

"Kalel, have you been crying?" I asked. She looked at me angrily.

"Of course I have!" she screamed, "I'm a bride on my wedding day, with no ring! I need you to go get me one! FAST!!! I, uh... lost mine. It fell down a sink..."

It was obvious that Kalel was lying. Why did Anthony even put up with her? This clearly wasn't going to be a happy marriage, but I couldn't say anything to Anthony. He loved her enough to show up today and I wasn't going to ruin this for him.

"Fine..." I muttered as I left the Kalel to go find a replacement wedding ring. I would never lose the ring...

I drove to the pawn shop to see if I could get a ring there. I only had a little money on me and Kalel hadn't given me any before sending me to fix her problem. I perused the display cases as a clearly bored girl glanced over at me from behind the counter.

I slowly slid my hand along the glass, looking for the right ring when I saw...

"Oh my God..."

"What? Did you find the one?" the girl said, coming over to help me.

"The exact one! That's the ring that my best friend's fiancé sold! That bitch... I guess I'll take it. They're getting married today..." I hissed.

She grabbed the ring and was about to hand it to me when she suddenly stopped and put it back.

"Is there a problem?" I asked, a little perplexed.

"Yes. You shouldn't get the ring." she said, looking up at me. "You said that your friend is marrying someone awful. Why would you get someone awful a ring. She sold it! Now she's asking you to buy it back? Don't."

"But... " I was shocked, "That would only hurt my friend."

"No. What would really hurt him was if his best friend allowed him to marry someone like that and make the worst decision of his life." She looked me straight in the eye and at that moment I saw her point.

I let a devilish grin creep across my face as I strode out of the pawn shop with the "Cash-4-Gold" sign... Without the ring.