Chapter 1

It all came down to this. The tension was felt in the air from all who surrounded the two at the table.  Winner gets bragging rights, loser had to pay for pizza.

"C7" I said in a soft voice to my opponent.

"Damn it" I heard him say under his breath. 

I lifted my eyebrows high up on my forehead as the man beside him nodded his head at me. "YES!!" I exclaimed as my friends who were beside me patted me on the back and clapped.

"Fine, whatever. It's just Battleship anyway" my opponent extended his arm across the table for me to shake.

"More like the Battleship match of the century, Gaskarth" I replied, shaking his hand like a good sport, "You better get your wallet ready though." I picked up my bottle of beer and walked away from the table, joining 2 of my best friends in the adjoining room.

"You were so serious there, Jen" Rebecca said.

Julia joined in "yeah I swear I saw sweat on your forehead at one point."

"Hey, I play to win" I said defending myself and clinking bottles with my friends.

An intense game of Battleship wasnt exactly a regular night at our friend Zack's house. He would invite the 7 of us of our close friend group over and we would come up with something to do together almost every Friday night. In total, there were 8 of us: Julia, Rebecca, Hannah, Alex, Rian, Zack, and Jack. Oh and myself, Jen!

Most of us have been friends for a long time. Hannah was my childhood best friend and I knew Alex and Rian from after school music lessons that I started when I was 10 years old. And throughout the years, our friend group has grown. Alex and Rian formed a band, and in came Zack and Jack. Shortly after that, we found out that Rebecca was good friends with Zack and Rian and she became a part of the group. And Julia became close with everyone because she was my roommate in college and became friends with the girls when they visited me.

All in all, we had a very tight group of friends and it was perfect. Us all being in our mid-twenties, it was nice to know that we still had friends to fall back on when other twenty-somethings felt lost and alone.

"Hey" a voice behind me brought me out of my current conversation with Rebecca and Julia. Turning around I was faced with none other than Alex's sad face. I smiled though.

"Aw what's the matter? Poor baby still sour about losing?" I mocked him and cupped his cheek with a hand.

He rolled his eyes and scoffed, "psh, no. I just wanted to tell you that you played a good game back there."

"I know I did" I said confidently.

Alex smiled and let out a small laugh, "I see that somebody's overly confident. Anyways, good game. And I need to ask you something actually."

"Alex no, I'm not gonna kiss one of my best friends just cause you guys think it would be hot"

He laughed again, "no...although that thought is still on the table, just saying. I needed to ask you if you've got a few bucks you could lend me, for the pizza"

"The pizza that you're supposed to buy? I didn't just beat you in Battleship for nothing Alex."

"I know but I just got fired a week ago and I'm kinda tight for cash right now." He looked at me sympathetically.

I let out a deep breath, "fine, I've got $20 in my bag, come on." I decided to cave in, he was my best friend after all and we never let just one person pay for all the food anyway.

I went upstairs to one of Zack's guest bedrooms where I planned on sleeping over that night, and sifted through my bag for my wallet. Once I found it I handed over the cash to Alex.