Chapter 5

I woke up around 10 the next morning. Since I basically make my own hours at the photo studio, I could go in at whatever time or even work from home. I checked my phone to see if I had any messages or notifications. I had a missed call from Alex an hour ago. I gotta hand it to him, when most guys say that they'll call me the next day, they arent as fast as he is. And I also had a text from him:

Hey, I guess you're probably still sleeping. I had a really good time last night. Why did we wait so long to do this?! Anyways, the guys and I have a pre-tour meeting today so thats where we'll be at, and then rehearsals later around 5pm. You're welcome to join if you'd like :)

I sent him a text back:

You guessed right, I just woke up now! Expect me to show up for that rehearsal later. Say hey to the guys for me :)

I liked to take some photos of the guys at their rehearsals before a tour started so they could post them online and get the fans excited.

I went about my day as usual, trying to push any conflicting feelings about Alex aside and focus on myself and my work. It's kind of hard to not think of relationships when I had to edit those engagement photos.

I happened to get a call from Hannah around lunchtime though. Thank god, something to really distract me from these feelings!

"So how was the date?!" She yelled as soon as I answered the phone.

"Seriously Hannah? Hello to you to" I sarcastically replied.

"Haha sorry, I just want to know how it went with Alex! Did you change your mind? Are you gonna go out again?"

"About that..."

"What lame excuse do you have now?" she sounded frustrated.

"Shut up, they're not lame excuses! And for the record, Alex and I had a great date last night. He took me to the fair and we had a lot of fun. But-"

"NO. Don't you 'but' anything! You agreed to go out with him right?" I was silent. "...Right?" She questioned louder when I didn't answer.

"Yes I did"

"And you had a great time with him, right?"

"Yeah..."

"And did you or did you not kiss him last night?"

"Yeah..." my voice was getting lower and lower every time she asked me a question.

"So don't you even 'but' anything. If you like him, no matter if he's a best friend or not, shouldn't you embrace this?!"

"I'm busy Hannah, I'll text you later" fed up with her aggressive questioning, I hung up. I'm sure if she were in this situation she would be as confused and nervous as I am.

----------------------

"Knock knock!" I said happily as I entered the rehearsal room that the guys were practicing in.

"Jen!" Zack called out as he was the first one to notice me.

I went to give them all hugs, earning huge smiles. Alex walked into the room and grinned as soon as he noticed that I was here.

"Hey you" he grabbed me in a tight hug. I returned the hug and saw the three others talking quietly to each other, Rian occasionally looking up at us. They then pretended to go back to setting up their things.

"What's with them?" I asked Alex, motioning to his bandmates.

"They're probably talking about our date. Jack's been asking if we hooked up all day!" Alex replied casually.

"Wait, you told them about our date?" I followed him towards his guitar amp.

"Of course! I had a great time and I'm hoping something great can come from this. Why, you didn't tell the girls?"

"Well, no I hadn't. I thought we could maybe keep it between us two until we figured things out."

"Figured things out? What do you mean by that? And didn't you already tell Hannah before we even went out?"

"Well, yeah I did tell her, but she's my best friend and I needed advice" I tried to rid the tension that was slowly building between us, "And what I meant was figuring if you and I were going to be a real thing. Alex, you knew that I was nervous about you asking me out. Since we're the best of fri-"

He cut me off with frustration in his voice, "Best of friends, yeah I know. I got that message last night when you stopped kissing me on the beach even though I sure as hell know you felt something too. Listen here Jen, it seemed like you were truly into me when we were eating greasy pretzels and playing fair games."

"Alex you can't deny that if you and I dated and broke up that it would be disastrous for the two of us, not to mention everyone else around us." Him and I weren't exactly yelling at each other, but definitely talking louder than a normal conversation.

"Were you even there last night?!? I knew you weren't thinking of us as friends that night. You were having the time of your life. You held my hand, you kissed me...Were you just leading me on?"

"No, I'm not leading you on! I just realized that I had such an amazing date with my best friend! Are friends as close as us even supposed to date?! You have to understand how confused I am right now trying to figure out the next step!"

"People. Get. Together. Jen! It's what people do!" Alex was clearly close to his breaking point, I havent seen him this frustrated with me in years. "And who cares if we're best friends, maybe us being together is supposed to happen! Don't you think Brad and Angelina were friends before they started dating? Beyonce and Jay Z? Hell, even Monica and Chandler were best friends before they started dating! Why do you insist on holding back?"

Completely disheartened, I felt my eyes start to water. "I wish things weren't so difficult. Excuse me, I have to go." I turned on my heels and fast-walked towards the door.

"Things aren't difficult! It's you thats overthinking things and making it so hard to commit!" Alex shouted across the large room to me as I reached the door. I debated turning around and arguing it out with Alex, but I continued on my way out the door.