Chapter 4A

Alex was always the sweet boy I met back in fifth grade who ended up turning into one of the best friends I could ask for. Sure, as a young boy he would be rambunctious with his friends at times, but the two of us would always take time to hang out with each other. Whether it was finishing homework together, or playing video games for 8 hours on a Saturday, Alex was always someone who I could lean back on and call a best friend. Throughout high school we would always be accused of secretly dating because we were so close. Even our parents would say that we should date. We never let those opinions affect our friendship, in fact, it almost made us even closer best friends. He was the guy that would pick me up on the side of the road when I was too drunk to figure out my way home. He was the guy that tried to get me to swim in the ocean and not make fun of me when I broke down in his arms, crying from fear. He was there for so many things...so why can't I make up my mind about this?

I was at work, just myself and my colleague Joanna. She had just come back from shooting The 1975 on tour so she had tons of photos to edit. Myself? I was waiting for a couple that wanted to get engagement photos done. I wasn't a huge fan of doing one-off photo shoots like this, I preferred doing tours where I could take new photos every night. But since I wasn't busy for the next few weeks, I decided to agree to doing it. In just about 2 weeks I would be joining the ATL guys in Europe for a couple of festivals.

The couple came into our studio, and I led them into the area where I had set up my equipment. They were a cute couple. I wanted to make some small talk as I finished setting up the last touches, so I asked them to tell me about themselves. The man was 27 and the woman was 25. They said they had started dating in college and were planning a spring time wedding for next year. Unfortunately for me, the question if I was involved with anyone came up. I just laughed it off and told them that no, I wasn't in any sort of romantic relationship at the moment. My mind wandered off to Alex for a split second though. Once things were ready, we began the photoshoot.

For engagement photos, you want to make the couple look completely and totally in love without forcing any of it. And it was ridiculously easy to photograph this couple because even I felt the love between them. The way that he would hold her around her waist, or the way she would give him butterfly kisses, it was all completely natural. It was nice to see a couple so in love. Then I thought, maybe this is what I want as well. Someone looking at me with so much love in their eyes. Someone who wants to hold my hand. I tried to keep those personal thoughts to a minimum so I could focus on the job in front of me.

A few hours later, the couple left and I was already procrastinating on editing their pictures right away. I ended up texting my friends instead. Typical of me.

As I wasted time on my phone and eventually moved to distracting websites on my computer, my subconscious made a decision about Alex. It's as if the back of my mind was calculating outcomes of him and I in my head throughout the day. I decided that if he would ask me out again, I would tell him no. In the nicest way possible. It's just that our friendship is way too strong and important to me, I dont think I could be romantic with him.

I eventually ended up on Youtube, as everyone ultimately does when they waste time, and went through a handful of different videos to keep me occupied. From massive skateboard fails, to videos of monkeys acting like humans, I was in a trance of ridiculous entertainment. I was so entranced in what I was watching that when I felt a hand on my shoulder, I just about jumped out of my skin. Then I heard laughter behind me. Really? Whoever scared the hell out of me thought it was funny? I turned around in my chair and was met with the culprit of the scare. Alex. I should have known.

"Thanks for giving me my first ever heart attack at the young age of 25" I said in a voice laced with sarcasm. All he did was give me a stupid smile and laugh at me. For some reason he had one of his arms tucked away behind his back. "What are you even here for?"

"I went to your place before to see if you were there then I realized you weren't home. But you had something at your front door so I decided to bring it here to you."

"Oh, maybe it's that new camera strap I ordered! Gimme!"

He brought his arm from behind him and extended it towards me.

"Flowers?" I asked and grabbed the bouquet from him, "who would send me flowers?"

"There was a card placed in it, check in there I guess" he suggested.

I opened the small envelope and read out the note aloud, "Give it a chance, you never know what will happen until you take a leap. I said I would make it happen. Please? - Alex"

He crouched down in front of me, "come on Jen. Take the chance." Those were the exact words he said to me when I was at a crossroads back in high school and trying to figure out what to do for college. My family said I should get a business degree and have photography as just a hobby. But Alex was the one person that had the most faith in me, and when I got accepted into both a business school and an arts school, he told me that he knew I could make myself the happiest Ive ever been if I followed my true passion. "Come on Jen. Take the chance" was all he had to say for me to confirm my love of photography and take that road instead of the safer route. The note he wrote in those flowers tugged at my heartstrings and brought me back to that moment. And even though I had made up my mind today, I felt myself being worn down from what I just read.

"Okay. Let's try this out" I said trying my best to seem confident about my decision.

"Wait...really?" he asked making sure of my response.

"Sure, Alex. Let's go out" I felt a small smile creep on my face.

"Oh!" he seemed shocked, "I guess you fell under my spell after all" he then returned to his normal, flirty self.

"Sure, you could call it that if you want to" i laughed and placed the flowers on my desk.

"You're not gonna regret this. I'm gonna make you like me!" he said assuredly. "Tonight at 8? I'll meet you at your place?" he asked as he stood up.

I joined him standing up from my chair, "fine. Don't be late."

"It'll be dark by then, nobody will know if I kidnap you and keep you to myself for forever!" he tried to rub his hands together maniacally to seem like a total creep.

"It's time for you to go" I spun him around and started guiding him to the door.

He added in, "Come dressed like that, you look hot and I wanna show you off to everyone" I forced myself to keep the smile I wanted to let break through inside for now. I was just in a pair of maroon jeans and a flowy black tank. He placed his arms at the door frame to hold himself steady just before I pushed him out, "Or we could just stay back at your place and get to know each other there" he tried to act sexy by running a few fingers on my arms and winking.

"Goodbye Alex!" I said loudly, laughing as I pushed him out the door.

Just as I was about to sit back down at my desk, I heard an echo from the hallway "Remember! 8 o'clock!" I smiled at his remark. And I was hoping that this decision wouldn't be a bad one.