6.

(Liv)

We had the best time. Nathaniel showed me some video games and we played all afternoon. We both burst out in laughter at times.
When I just went downstairs to use the bathroom, his mother stood in the kitchen.
"Hello, Mrs Carter."
"Oh, hello Liv", she said. She looked a lot like Nat. Her clothes seemed to be some kind of business outfit. She smiled, but just like Nat, the smile didn't seem honest. In fact, she seemed very tired and exhausted.
"Do you guys need something? " she asked.
"Oh, no, I was just going to use the bathroom."
"Ah, of course."
I was about to leave the kitchen when she stopped me.
"Liv? Can I just talk to you for a second?" I was a little confused.
"Um, sure."
She sighed. In a lower voice she continued.

"I heard you guys laugh earlier." She smiled as she looked out the window as if she was expecting someone.
"You see, I haven't heard him laugh like that in years. And I don't know what you're doing to him, or how you're doing it, but...but I think it's good for him."

Surprised and a little bit shocked, I just stared at her. He didn't laugh like that in years?
"Just please, take good care of him, okay?", she said and sounded a bit concerned.
"I will." I answered, not sure what exactly she meant by that.
She nodded. "Thank you, Liv."
"No problem, Mrs-"
"Just call me Ann."
"Okay. No problem, Ann."
She smiled at me with her tired eyes  and after I used the bathroom I went back upstairs.

But I just couldn't forget what she had told me.