41

Percy's P.o.V.

The first thing I noticed was the sound of Y/N's desperate footsteps running after me. The second thing was the impact of her lips crashing against mine.

"You're insane," she said, pulling away.

"I've been told," I replied, with a half-smile. It was a lame attempt, but it'd sway any girl I wanted.

Well, except for the only girls I'd date. So yes, that includes Y/N.

Y/N punched my arm (hard) and grabbed my hand. "You're insane," she repeated, "but so am I, so we're gonna have a deep conversation about the meaning of life."

My smile spread throughout my face, causes her to lean in closer to me. Her hair smelled like strawberries, the strawberries that no longer grow in the fields.

"So," Y/N started, "What do you believe the meaning of life is?"

I looked down at our worn shoes. We both wore black converse, but hers were decorated with skyscrapers in black sharpie.

"Living," I answered. "You know, trying to live a happy life even when it seems hardest."

Y/N's eyes crinkled in a smile, her shoulder slightly bumping into mine. "That's pretty deep," she said. "But mine's gotta be that there is none."

I shook my head. "Is that an actual answer?" I asked doubtfully.

"Duh," she replied in an obvious voice. She sighed, and continued.

"I think we are all given a life at birth, but not a meaning. So I guess we just have to keep living until we find out our own purpose as we grow old."

We continued walking in silence (except for the crunching leaves under out shoes) until I slammed into a tree.

"Damn you Daphne!" I yelled, punching the tree, as Y/N let out a giggle.

"Daphne's in Ladon, Arcadia," she corrected. "Demeter's probably pissed at you now."

As if Demeter heard, a stick hit the back of my head like it was saying piss off.

"Sorry," I muttered, silently flicking my middle finger at the tree. Y/N snorted, and pulled my hand to drag me farther away.

Our shoes crunched snow-covered leaves. An occasional bird sounded, with some sort of reply from another.

"Do you still believe in true love?" Y/N asked after a few minutes of walking. "I mean, well, do you think what we have is true love?"

I smiled. "No," I answered, surprising both of us. "No, I don't think I do."

"Oh," Y/N whispered, slightly hurt.

"Not like that," I said, shaking my head. "I love you more than I love myself. But I just don't believe in true love."

"So then what do you think true love is?"

"It's love you can only show to one person," I answered. "It's supposed to be the most powerful thing in the world between two lovers.

"But you and I know that's not true."

The side of Y/N's lips quivered into a smile. "So we don't have that," she decided.

"If I believed in it," I corrected. "But I can't devote my heart to just one person. So, no. No, I don't believe in true love."

"Then what do we have?" she asked skeptically.

"Ourselves," I answered, kissing the top of her strawberry-scented head. "You have my heart. Isn't that all we need?"

Y/N nodded slowly and swung our arms. "I guess," she relented.

We continued walking, walking until we saw light again. We were back at the cabins.

"Look," Y/N whispered. Will had just stood up by the foot of CHB Hill, looking into Nico's eyes.

Our grip on each other tightened as we ran to Will, eventually gasping at Piper's ragged breathing.

"Hold on," I urged, falling down to my knees at her side. "Come on, Pipes. Stay with me."

I fumbled for her slender hand, one that used to hold mine when I broke down over Annabeth. The hand that hand consoled me so much.

I wouldn't lose that hand.

Will put his hand on my shoulder. "We don't know what happened," he said. "She just -- she just woke up."

I closed my eyes touched Piper's cheek, just like how she did to me. "You'll be okay," I whispered. "You'll be fine."

Nico shook his head behind us. "I'm not sure about that --"

"Shut up!" I yelled, turning around to face him. "Shut up! You don't know that, Death Boy! So just shut up!"

Nico backed away slowly, just as frightened as when we first met.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, softening. "I'm so sorry, Nico."

He flinched farther away from me, sneaking glances at Will.

"I'll see you later, Percy," Nico muttered before turning around to run away. He soon became a blob, a dot, a speck, and then nothing.

Y/N stood in shock next to me. "You shouldn't run after him," she mumbled into my ear, sensing my distress and urge to do what she opposed. "Its best you give him some space."

I nodded subtly. "Me too," I replied, pecking her cheek. I spun on my heel, took a deeply needed breath, and headed toward the woods.

I never felt as lonely as I did then.

But then a soft whisper, softer yet harsher than any voice I've ever heard, slithered into my ear.

Did you really believe I would disappear so easily?

I slowed down, looked left and right, then began running back to Y/N.

But I tripped, and darkness fell upon my shoulders.

Welcome back, Percy Jackson, favorite son of Poseidon and the world's savior.

It's been a while, hasn't it?

(A/N:

AGAIN.

I'M TIRED. CRANKY. AND I REALLY WANT TO PUNCH SOMEONE.

But, as a person who hasn't sorted out her priorities yet, I decided to write another chapter.

*sigh*

Questions, concerns, corrections? Head to the comments section.

I really need a life.)