Chapter I

It was another day at Arkham, Lilith just finished with another patient and filled out the file

It was another day at Arkham, Lilith just finished with another patient and filled out the file. Opening the door to exit her office, she froze when the intercom screeched.

"New patient in the Intensive Treatment lobby all nonessential staff to vacate the area."

'New patient?' Lilith thought as she walked into the hall and spotted one of the recently employed guards, Daniel Wright, and walked up to him. "What's going on?" She asked.

"Batman just caught the Joker, bringing him in himself." Daniel replied. This brought curiosity to the doctor's mind. The Joker rarely gets caught so easily. If that wasn't strange then the timing was sure enough. Blackgate prisoners had just been transferred to Arkham due to an explosion, most being part of Joker's gang.

"I can't believe they caught him again, so quickly too." Lilith said, folding her arms, shifting her weight to her left leg. Daniel shrugged.

"Maybe he finally saw what he did was wrong?" He suggested.

"The Joker? Doubtful." Lilith scoffed at that. Daniel was still new to this whole thing, he has much to learn.

"Hey, everyone has a conscience, even if it is almost nonexistent." Daniel told her.

"Maybe, but something isn't right about this. Not one bit." Lilith narrowed her eyes at the long hallway, trying to figure out why things felt so eerie. "I just don't know what yet."

"Don't you have patients to see?" Daniel asked, running a hand through his curly brown hair.

"Why? Trying to get rid of me, Daniel?" Lilith joked. "I thought you loved my company." She pretended to be hurt. Daniel chuckled at her antics.

"As much as I do love your company, have to get back to my post. I'll see you later. Gotta get back before-" He cut off suddenly as the alarm goes off, signaling a prisoner escape, it stopped as it had started. Lilith went to open her mouth but then the two heard rapid gunfire from just around the corner.

Daniel cursed and got his gun ready as a guard quickly came there way, his gun ready as well.

"What happened?" Lilith demanded the guard.

"It was all a setup. The Joker got free, and he's released all the inmates! The explosion at Blackgate was part of his plan also. It's a mass breakout!" The guard exclaimed.

"I knew something was strange." Lilith muttered, looking at the floor. Daniel put a hand on her shoulder.

"Go hide quickly, barricade your office." He said, giving her a brief hug, before sprinting down the hall with the other guard to defend the asylum.

With that Lilith quickly took off to get to safety.

It's never easy to find a place to hide, when you're in a situation where time is everything. You only have so long until the person you are hiding from will look for you. It helps to know the person, but in the case where there are multiple assailants? That is not an option. That left Lilith only one place to hide.

Her office.

It wasn't the best hiding place, but she could make it defendable. She also had a pistol in her desk drawer if the time came to use it.

Unfortunate to her, when she rounded the corner, the way was blocked by a pile of rubble. The ceiling had collapsed at some point, due to the gunfire.

'Damn, now what?' She thought as she looked around trying to think, but she came up with no solution as rapid footsteps came from behind. Lilith, not ready to die, grabbed a lose pipe and when the footsteps were close enough, she spun around, swinging the pipe to hurt the upcoming person.