Chapter IV

Once Lilith entered the mansion, she had no idea what to do next

Once Lilith entered the mansion, she had no idea what to do next. Her eyes landed on Cash and Doctor Young and decided to make herself known. "Cash, Doctor Young!" She yelled out.

The two turned to see Lilith and Doctor Young's eyes widened. "Doctor Matthews! I thought you were dead when you weren't with the others held hostage-"

Lilith cut off the Penelope Young, "I was held hostage but not by Joker. I was able to escape from him."

"Who held you hostage Doctor?" Aaron Cash asked Lilith and she looked at him. "Crane." She answered.

"That son of a bitch." Cash cursed. Doctor Young decided to speak again, "Well let's get moving we don't have much time." She said before going down the hall to get to her office. The security guard and young doctor glanced at each other before quickly following Doctor Young.

They went down the West Wing and entered the Records Room. They walked down and saw another guard, Zach Franklin. Aaron and Zach were talking about how Zach made it here in one piece before the entrance doors busted open to reveal six inmates with guns and suicide collars. "You girls run to Doctor Young's office, quickly!" Aaron told the doctor's and they ran down to the entrance to her office. Lilith was upset that the two nice guards were soon taken hostage.

Doctor Young and Lilith made it to the office and Young quickly opened the room which her desk and personal belongings were in. She watched as Doctor Young opened her safe and took out her notes and got out the office room and locked it. The two doctors then fled to the Library, lucky to not have run into any inmates.

But luck soon ran out for Lilith. As they were turning down the hallway to enter the library, a needle-tipped hand reached out and grabbed her wrist, while the other covered her mouth. The person pulled her into a shadowed corner, pushing her against the wall. Lilith opened her eyes to see it was Jonathan. He wasn't wearing his mask, she observed there was a bruise on his cheek.

He kept the two of them still as Lilith slowly calmed down, Jonathan then stepped back, releasing her from his grip. "I told you to stay put." Jonathan said as he leaned against one of the display cases and started tapping his needles on the glass.

"I don't like being told what to do." Lilith said in between breaths.

"If you had followed my orders, then you would still be safe, and you wouldn't have Joker's thugs after you for following Doctor Young." Jonathan pointed out. Lilith looked up at him.

'Somebody has a crush on you.' Lilith ignored that and narrowed her eyes at Jonathan. "Why do you keep going out of your way to keep me safe? So that you can use me for your experiments?" She asked. Jonathan looked at her in surprise.

At first that was his original plan to kidnap the doctor and constantly torture her with his fear toxin until she was scared to death. He wanted to know how far her mind would stretch before it snapped. After his encounter with Batman, Jonathan followed Lilith to the mansion. Knowing it was Batman next destination, it would be killing two birds with one stone.

When Jonathan first met her when she became his doctor, he saw nothing more than a potential test subject. Unknowingly he begins to feel drawn to her, feeling a spark of emotion when he finds that Lilith was in trouble. He soon wondered if that first thought of her being a test subject turned to something else.

"If you would have been in that room Joker's goons would have kidnapped you and Doctor Young, and torture you about the notes she has now hid." Jonathan answered her. Not control of her actions Lilith then hugged the Master of Fear. Jonathan stiffened, his face began to heat up as he awkwardly raised his arms to hesitantly hug her back. Jonathan now had to figure out exactly what it was he was feeling about the doctor.

Once Lilith realized what she was doing she quickly pulled back and stepped away before running a hand through her hair. "Now what?" She asked, clearing her throat. Before Jonathan could answer, the handle on the door to the library began to jiggle. The door swung open, and Jonathan whirled to face it. The two didn't even notice Batman passed them to get to the Library.

Batman stumbled through the doorway, but Jonathan wasn't looking at him, but behind the Dark Knight. The hallway was hazy. Moments before he found Lilith, Jonathan had placed a few canisters into the hallway outside of the library so that when Batman came out, he would be under Scarecrow's influence. Now that gas was leaking out of the open door and into the hall.

Jonathan cursed and grabbed his mask, pulling it over his head and yanking his hood up over it. "Lilith! Cover your face!"

Realization dawned on Lilith's face as she pulled her sleeve over her hand and went to reach up and cover her mouth and nose, but she was moving too slow. At this rate, the gas was already in her system. Her hand froze halfway to her mouth, a look of pure terror on her face. Jonathan had never seen someone so frightened.

Jonathan looked in the direction Batman had gone, and then back at Lilith. He needed to go after the Bat and study the effects of his toxin, but he wasn't sure if leaving the young doctor on her own would be a good idea.

The choice was simple, If he really thought about it. Not going after Batman could mean that he would miss his chance to figure out how he had broken out of his toxin's grip. No one else was around, so at least Lilith couldn't get physically hurt as she battled her fears. But he couldn't say the same for her mind.

Without another moment's hesitation, Jonathan turned and ran after Batman, leaving Lilith again.