Chapter II

The pipe connected with something causing a metallic clang, Lilith looked at the person who snuck up behind her

The pipe connected with something causing a metallic clang, Lilith looked at the person who snuck up behind her. A man with a burlap mask, located by the mouth, were two gas mask filters attached to it. A hood pulled over the mask, which stretched down past his shoulders, making it like a wrap. He was shirtless and his trousers had a bunch of different rags sewed on.

He's blocked the pipe with the four syringe needles that were attached to his automated glove on his right hand, they were filled with a golden liquid. Lilith's eyes widened at the man.

"Doctor Crane."

Jonathan stared at her, almost as shocked as she was. Before any further interaction, more footsteps, echoed off of the walls. Without hesitation, Jonathan snatched Lilith's arm and pulled her to him, her back hitting his chest and pressed two of the needles against her cheek.

"Don't move." He ordered.

Lilith noticed he was using a voice-changer, probably in his mask, making his voice distorted. Though he didn't have a threatening tone, Lilith still obeyed. Soon three Blackgate prisoners stood before them, all bigger and stronger than Jonathan, but he didn't seem intimidated.

"Hand the lady over, Crane." The lead inmate demanded, hoisting his crowbar onto his shoulder.

"I don't think so." Jonathan said, remaining calm in this situation.

"Joker wants all of the doctors gathered together and held as hostages in the Medical Center." The inmate said, stepping forward. For a safety measure, Jonathan took a step back, dragging Lilith also.

"This Doctor is mine. Go find someone else." His response only seemed to anger the inmates, and the leader took another step.

"Boss said that you were one of his party guests. He never said anything about you arriving in one piece." He said.

At this, Jonathan chuckled and removed his syringes from Lilith's cheek, and pushed her out of the way and she backed against the wall.

"I was hoping you would say something like that." Jonathan said darkly. The Scarecrow came out.

The lead inmate launched himself at Scarecrow, crowbar raised. In one swift motion, Scarecrow reached forward and stabbed the syringes into the man's side. The inmates may be stronger, but Scarecrow had speed.

Almost immediately, the man shrieked and started clawing at his face. "Get 'em off me! Oh god, they're all over me!" He scratched at his arms and chest. Scarecrow straightened and looked at the two inmates, who were gaping at the man in front of them.

"No problem here, we'll just tell the boss that she's with you. Shouldn't be a problem." One stammered. The other one nodded quickly. "Let's get outta here." He cast one last look at their fallen leader, before running off.

"Cowards." Jonathan said, sounding pleased. He turned to face Lilith, who quickly brought up her pipe again. "You wouldn't hurt the one that saved you."

"Would you like to test your theory, Doctor?" She snapped, gripping the pipe tightly, her knuckles paled.

Jonathan held out his hand. "Give me the pipe." He said, calmness in his voice. Lilith didn't respond. With a sigh, he reached up to pull off the mask, revealing the misleading kind face underneath. His dark brown hair was a mess.

"Doctor Matthews, please give me the pipe."

Lilith hesitated, there was nothing stopping Jonathan from killing her or worse. Of course, if she didn't give in to him, he most likely would inject her with his fear toxin and take it by force. With trembling hands, Lilith held out the pipe so that Jonathan could take it. He immediately tossed it out out of her reach. Lilith clenched her hands into fists.

"Why did you help me?" She demanded. Jonathan tipped his head to the side, amused.

"Foolish child, for all you know, I may have saved you just so I could have the pleasure of torturing you myself." He replied, taking a step forward. "I don't think you realize just how dangerous of a situation you are in."

"You don't intimidate me, Doctor Crane." Lilith retorted.

"You should be. Well if you aren't then I should inject you with my toxin and see what truly frightens you, my dear." Jonathan grinned as he wiggled the syringes at her.

Lilith' eyes widened as she looked at the inmate on the floor, she didn't want to end up like him. When she looked back at Jonathan, he had taken several more steps forward. Lilith's watch chimed, signaling it was midnight. Jonathan sighed as he stepped back to fix his mask and pulling the hood back up.

"But that will have to wait." he said. "We have to get to the Medical Center." Jonathan grabbed Lilith's arm again with his left hand, pulling her as he rushes down the hall.

Lilith observed every room Jonathan dragged her through, noticing the number of inmates staring at the two as they passed. Once they made it to the Medical Center they opened the double doors leading to the sanitarium. Jonathan walked past the bodies of the dead guards without so much as glancing at them, as if it were totally normal. Lilith couldn't stop staring down at them as she passed, wondering if one of them were Daniel, but she wasn't able to see clearly.

The inmates in the room paid no mind to them as they were doing their patrols. Jonathan stopped at the elevator on the third level and called it. While they were waiting, Lilith took the chance to look around the room. There were three levels: The bottom level, which had the showers and several operating rooms, along with a door with three signs next to it that said "Observation", "Surgery", and "X-Ray"; the middle level, which had more operation rooms, and was the level that they had entered the room at; and the top level, which had the offices for the physical doctors, a few cubicles, and the elevator that went down to the morgue.

Crouched by the elevator were two doctors that Lilith hadn't noticed before. Two other doctors were strapped to the adjustable gurneys for when an injured patient was brought in from the Penitentiary. 'They weren't lying about Joker wanting all the doctors rounded up and held hostage.' Lilith thought. A red headed doctor threw herself onto Lilith, grabbing her coat and stared at her with pleading eyes. "Please help us!" She cried out.

"Ignore them." Jonathan ordered Lilith as the doors to the elevator opened. He stepped inside, and Lilith followed him in and stood beside him.

"What's happening at the morgue?" She asked him.

"I have a little surprise for Batman I need to set up." Jonathan replied as the doors shut, Lilith had no way to escape now.