Chapter Five - Part Two

Chapter Five Part Two

READ AWAY

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You’re late”

“Sorry kiddo, it won’t happen again.” I said smiling down at him. Responsibility was extremely hard.

Riley sat on a brick wall at the entrance of the school, his face sullen. His schoolbag lay forgotten by his dangling leg. Other kids were playing in the playground, I couldn’t understand why Ry didn’t join them, they were also waiting to be picked up. Riley frowned up at me, as I watched the other kids sliding down the slide or swinging across on the monkey bars. God I wish my life was as easy.

“Why aren’t you playing with the other kids?” I asked kneeling in front of him. Ignoring the aggravating honking of my uncle parked across the road, in his black car.

“Let’s go home.” He murmured jumping off the wall and swinging his backpack over his shoulder. There was something wrong. Holding his right shoulder I pulled him against me and we walked side by side towards the car, keeping him close, my way of protecting him.

“They were talking about you.” He said hesitantly, wrapping his left arm around my waist pulling me closer. I didn’t understand I knew people talked about me and my disgraces, for there were many. The area we used to live in had been tight knitted, everyone knew everyone. After moving out of the area we hadn’t had much contact with the old neighbors, the only contact was though Riley’s school. He hadn’t wanted to move schools, unlike me. There had been a lot of unknown for him lately; he liked something that wasn’t new.

“What have they been saying?”

“You, mum and dad.” He said his grip tightening around my leg.

This sentence made me stop frozen, turning him around so I faced him. What was being said? Who had been talking? 'One question at a time' I thought, I didn't want to bombard the poor kid. “What have they been saying?” I asked again. Even I could hear the edge in my voice.

“They said that mum and dad didn’t want me and that you would leave too.” He whispered his face slightly turned away, as a single tear leaked from his eye making a glistening trail down his cheek and making a stop on the curve of his chin, where I wiped it away and any others threatening to burst.

“I’m not going anywhere kiddo. I’m right here I will always be here.” I whispered pulling him into a hug.

“You got on the bus. You were late. I thought you weren't coming.” He whispered his voice muffled as his face was pressed into my body. He slowly stepped away giving me a clear view of his face: tear streaked, again wiping away the tears with my thumb, I contemplated a plan.

“Who said this to you?” I asked looking him in the eyes, they reflected my own bright blue. People had always said they were the exact same, but I knew the truth, his were more beautiful for they sparkled.

“Michael, Peter and Justin they told me.” Riley whispered. I didn’t recognize the first two names: Michael and Peter but Justin, I knew. Justin had been an old friend of Riley’s before it happened, then he had just turned against him. I knew why, the truth, but Riley didn’t.

“Okay I’ll handle it when we get home.” I said with a smile. Taking the first step towards the car, I halted feeling the slight, deliberate tug on my hand.