Back to the lab again

" for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
~Genesis 3:19

SAM

Sam tried his best to let his eyes focus on the neat print before him, but his mind wandered like a curious child and it was mainly on Jess. He yearned to run his fingers through her soft blonde curls, or to listen to the faint but strong heart beat of their unborn baby. Tears came to his eyes as he thought of her beautiful smile, her warm hugs and he swore he could almost hear her laughter in his head, her soft voice asking him if he were alright.

And there she was, sitting in the wooden chair opposite him. She still wore that silly nightdress as white as snow that brought out the red in her full lips.
"Sam, buddy are you okay?" There was a faint crease between her eyebrows and her eyes were full of bewilderment.

She rose from the chair and strode over to sit on Sam's knee. Sam felt his heart thud heavily in his heart as the whole room blurred away and she became the only object in focus.
Her small hand cupped his hard bicep muscles with genuine affection and she placed her lips on his. Sam couldn't breathe for that split second as he kissed her back with incredible force. Their lips locked and moved as one, making the butterflies in Sam's stomach evolve into a stampede of horses running wild.
She was sitting in his lap now, her full body pressed hard against Sam's. Her arms locked around his back and she climbed up further to a more comfortable position. Moving his hands up and down her slim figure, he took in every centimetre of her skin and every scent that rose from her hot, soft body. Sam lifted her up with care and lay her on the table, knocking over the laptop and piles of books in the process.

He broke away for a minute, trying to collect his breathe and found himself lost in Jessica's crystal blue eyes.
"Sam," she breathed. Her hands grabbed his hands desperately and she was shaking with fear.
"Jess, how-"
She placed her finger on his parted lips and pulled him down to the table.
"Kiss me."

His mind clouded with fog, he kissed her again full on the mouth. He lifted her off the table and pressed her against the wall. She clung to his back like a panda to a tree, and their breath mingled together as a hot fire burned within their souls. Every kiss left Sam wanting another and the passion drove him to insanity. His veins pumped inside him and his body ached to be closer and closer to Jess. Something wasn't right but he couldn't help himself. He wanted her so bad.

Suddenly blood dripped from his lips and ran down his chiseled jawline. Opening his eyes, he drew away from Jess. She ran her forefinger over her lip as her face scrunched up with pain.

"Jess, are you okay?" Sam held her face in his hands as he watched her bloody lip slowly clot into a scab.

Jess smiled at him and reached out to hug him. "Passionate makeout, eh?"
And then Sam seen what had been nagging at the back of his mind. Jess was almost too thin, thinner than he had remembered her. There was no bump.

"Jess, where's the baby?"
Jess laughed and pushed at Sam playfully.
"What baby, silly Moose?"

And then she screamed. Jess fell to her knees and as Sam bent down to catch her, he saw her belly cut open and blood came gushing out of the wound. His hands came away drenched in blood and scorched from the heat protruding from the injury.

Jessica's whole body tensed and her back arched as she screamed in pain. Tears came streaming down her face.
Sam felt a shiver run up his back.

"JESSICA! JESSICA!" He held her in his arms and placed his hand on her belly to cover the wound, but it burned to touch. Flames crawled out of the wound and suddenly her whole body lit up like a christmas tree. Flames licked the carpet and Sam recoiled from the heat. His whole body was drenched in sweat and though his fever was high, he felt an icy cold run through his veins.

"JESSICA!" Sam ran towards the flames and as he did he fell through a pit of darkness and plummeted down into a bottomless pit. And as he sank further down, he heard a gruff voice calling out to him.

"Sam, Sam wake up. Sammy, are you okay?"
Sam sat up and inhaled a huge gasp of air. "Jessica!" He shouted as he looked around the room with growing fear.

"Sam, it's me, Bobby. You were having a nightmare. Weren't you?"
Sam lay back down on the floor where he must have fallen. He felt a dulling pain in the back of his head as he stood up to face Bobby. He rubbed his sore head and tried not to think of his dream.
"What happened Bobby?"
Bobby put his hands on his hips and swung around to look at Sam.

"You tell me. You left the room to refill your mug of coffee. When you weren't back ten minutes later, I came out to look for you and you were lying in a puddle of your own sweat, thrashing around like a mad animal and calling out that poor girls name. I'm sorry, I hope you know that, Sam."
Sam was almost sure it had all been so real, he had heard her voice so clear in his ears, he had felt their lips ignite when they touched, but that was it. They burned, like the fire the demon had set. It was all a hallucination. A mockery at that too.
"It's okay Bobby,I'm good. I just need to sleep for a while, I haven't slept since, you know-"

Sam found himself falling reluctantly into Bobby's arms. Bobby caught him with surprise and he patted his back carefully.
Sam breathed in heavily, he felt himself about to leave his body again.

"Okay Sam, let's get you to a bed before I have to carry you up them stairs myself." He half dragged, half carried Sam to the nearest room and let him lie down in the bed. Sam felt too tired to feel any other emotions or feelings. His exhaustion left him feeling an empty, fathomless numbing of his soul. He wasn't sure it was still intact. Jessica was his everything. And Samjess filled up all the little cracks in his life even though she failed to exist in the physical world. She never even got to open her eyes. Sam would never find out if she inherited his dark emerald forest or Jessica's Caribbean currents.

He thanked Bobby as he shut the door and listened to his footsteps growing further and further away.

Sam shut his eyes and let the tension leave his body. The cotton sheets draped around his body felt like a layer of protection from the fire that burned up his world. As he drifted deeper into abyss, those crystal blue eyes burned in the darkness. And the flames that licked their  reflective iris threatened to burn Sammy with them too.