Young Un'

" I was by far the youngest of the family, and at times it was like being an only child" ~ Paul Nurse

SAM

Here he was again, alone while his brother went off to be the big man and leave him behind to fend for himself. He could write a book on his childhood negligence - Dean had always been the favourite. He had always been away with Uncle Bobby to hunt down another one of the supernatural creatures on the never ending list of torture. And those who paid the price paid with their lives. Himself and Dean were victims themselves, being brought up with this dangerous lifestyle threatening to swallow them whole. And Jess. Innocent, beautiful and with her whole life ahead of her, now nothing more than a pile of ashes. Sam had had enough of sitting around for one day.

"Bobby, I think I'm gonna head to the library, to see if I can get extra information. Might even stop by the police station. "

Bobby looked up from his large copy of "Hunters Vogue" with a furrowed brow and a grim expression on his face. "Are you girls both trying to ditch me, seriously?"

Sam loosened his tight posture and shrugged. "I'm sure I'll be back for eight, just need some alone time, you know? Bobby put down his book. "Is this about Jessica, Sam, you know your brother and I are here. We'll support and listen to you."

Sam got up and pushed the high back chair into place. "I just need to take a quick walk. Cool off from this literature labour." And with that, Sam went for the door and stepped outside, gulping down the fresh air. The azure blue sky put his mind to ease and the careful sweeping gesture of autumn leaves filled his ears with sensual pleasure.

Sam felt like he was going to go mad if he stayed cooped up in the house, without a trace of the whereabouts of the yellow eyed demon. The thought had been nagging him all week, slowly tearing at his insides, twisting his organs into a sickening loop. Not even the bright sun above promised a ray of positivity.

He had found himself taking a brisk walk towards the graveyard. After several attempts, he finally found her grave freshly covered with soil. He glanced at the headstone, and although her name was clearly carved into the stone, he couldn't quite accept the fact that she was gone, it was more like a temporary absence. Perhaps she was away shopping, or on a work vacation. But not this.

Sam bent down and patted the fresh pile of dirt that was Jess' eternal bed. He tugged at a few weeds that surrounded the pit. Nothing ugly deserved to grow so near something so beautiful, innocent and pure.

Clutching the pile of orchids and wildflowers he intended to place on his dead fiancé's grave , he sat down on the cold earth and began to trace protective runes into her grave with his fingertips.

He had come across these runes during one of the many times he had been left alone in the bunker. During these lonely days, he often turned to the vast collection of books in the library. Sam never knew exactly what it was that drew him in; maybe it was the characters who lived lives full of danger, just like himself , and felt all the emotions he went through on a daily basis. Angst. Jealousy. Misery. Loneliness. Fear. And yet they always seemed to find the light in the darkness, especially old Albus Dumbledore . Sam had always wanted to receive a letter to Hogwarts so he could escape this life led by danger and ironically lead another danger - filled life, but with slightly safer alternatives.

Sam felt very connected with all these characters in his books, and he related significantly to Harry Potter of everyone . They were both orphans, often neglected and underestimated, their parents had been murdered by a ruthless villain who had hunted down them instead (but neither found out until they were older and until almost everyone else knew before them ) and they both had strange nightmares . Sam had found this common grounding almost comforting. To know that someone, even a fictional character , had experienced strange and frightening re - occurring dreams like he had was quite reassuring in an odd way.