Chapter Six: On Fire

“Charlie? Could you help me with this, please?” Annie called to me from the back of the store, and I hastily abandoned the display of liquid eyeliners I was working on to go assist her. The past few days had been slow, but considering the approaching weekend was homecoming for the local high school, I was booked for makeovers back-to-back for the next forty-eight hours. Lifting one of the boxes out of Annie’s wiry arms, I carried it back into the storage room for her before returning to the brightly lit front of the store. I enjoyed working at The Beauty Bar, but I had been a little distracted lately.

                    After finding out that Cora, Derek, and Peter Hale were werewolves, of all things, I hadn’t been able to sleep properly in days. But not because I was scared - because I was curious. I had so many questions for them; what myths were true, and which were false? Did they really transform into complete wolves? Did it hurt? Could they be killed by silver bullets? Did they only turn on the full moon?

“Charlie! Pay attention, would you? There’s a customer at the counter.” With a start and a mumbled apology, I skipped over to the makeup counter and was pleasantly surprised to find Allison Argent waiting there, alone for once.

“Hi Allison.”

“Hey, Charlie. How’re you doing?”

“I’m fine, how bout you?”

“Just the usual...I was wondering if you could help me pick out a blush for homecoming this weekend?”

“Of course! Follow me,” I chirped, leading Allison over to one of the back shelves full of blushes and bronzers and holding up a few that would really highlight her pale skin and bring out her defined cheekbones and jawline.

“Listen - I know about werewolves. And I know that you know,” Allison whispered suddenly, leaning in close to me and shooting a furtive look at the lady passing behind us as she did so. I nearly jumped out of my pants, however, and knocked over an entire display of mascaras and eyeshadow palettes.

“Oh, shit!”

“I’m sorry to jump you with this, Charlie, but I need your help.” I quickly knelt down on the ground and began to scoop up the fallen merchandise, and Allison followed suit, her dark eyes beseeching me. This girl knows about werewolves as well? Who doesn’t in this town!

“Of course. What’s up?” I answered breathlessly as I stacked the palettes on the floor beside the pile of mascara bottles and stood up, brushing my dark jeans off with my dusty hands. I can’t handle this - I can’t help her with her werewolf problem when I’m not even sure I know what’s going on here! I thought in a panic while still maintaining a smooth, complacent expression on my face.

“This guy I like, his name’s Scott-”

“Scott McCall?” Wasn’t that the teddy bear guy at Peter’s apartment?

“Yeah, him. Well, I think he might know about werewolves as well.”

“O-oh?” I squeaked out in a high-pitched voice. “What makes you say that?”

“Well, he’s always hanging out with Derek Hale, who I know is a werewolf. Anyway, since you mentioned you were friends with Cora and Derek, I was wondering if you could do some digging for me, find out if Scott knows?” Allison’s hand around my wrist tightened anxiously, and I immediately summoned up a calm smile and patted her on the shoulder. 

“You got it. Come back after school on Thursday, I’ll be working the evening shift then. I’ll let you know what I hear about Scott.”

“Thanks, Charlie; you’re the best!” After purchasing the blush that I’d recommended for her, Allison gave me a quick hug and then exited the store. The instant she was gone, I let out a huge breath and ran a shaking hand through my dark hair.