Chapter 5: Are you a Baggins or a Took?

Disclaimer: I don't own The Hobbit characters or plot of the story!

*******

Everyone in the dining room started to move, Frodo moved quickly from his spot and headed towards the chest near the front door and climbed inside, quietly closing the lid behind him before anyone had seen him...or so he thought.

Gandalf came into the living room first, followed by Thorin carrying unconscious Belle in bridal style, placing her gently in her armchair by the fireplace.

*******

Slowly Belle regained consciousness, the last thing she remembered was having dwarves and a wizard came into her house uninvited, bombarding her with a mad job of stealing from a fire-breathing dragon that lived in a mountain. When she opened her eyes and looked around, however, the first thing she saw was Gandalf smoking his pipe and the dwarves in the kitchen wondering around.

"So I really do have dwarves and a wizard in my house." Belle thought discouraged. "I thought I was just having a nightmare."

Dori then came from the kitchen with a cup of steaming hot chamomile tea and kindly handed the cup to Belle

."Are sure you're alright Miss Belle?" asked Dori with concern.

"I'll be alright." Belle answered shakily as she accepted the cup from him. "Just let me sit quietly for a few minutes."

Dori headed back to the kitchen to find his brothers as Belle clutched the cup to her chest, steadily drinking the tea as Gandalf walked over to her.

Frodo lifted the lid of the chest a little and listened to his aunt and Gandalf having conversation in the living room.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long!" Gandalf protested.

Belle looked up at him appalled as he paced about the living room.

"Tell me when did dollies and your mother's dishes become so important to you?" Gandalf questioned. "I remember a young Hobbit-girl who was always running off to search for elves in the woods! Who would stay out late and come home after dark trailing mud, twigs and fireflies." He added with a chuckle.

Belle smiled a bit of her childhood memories as she looked into her steaming cup. "Yes. But I was just a child back then." She justified.

"Yes, but an adventurist child who would have liked nothing better than to find out what lies beyond the borders of the Shire." Gandalf replied as he pointed at the window with his pipe.

Belle looked up to him from her cup with uncertainty.

"The world is not in your books and maps." He said and then gestured towards the window. "It's out there."

Belle looked towards the window and the world out there with inquisitiveness, but suddenly shook it off with determination.

"Gandalf, I'm not that child anymore, I've grown up and I can't just go running off into the blue." Belle said steadily. "I'm a Baggins of Bag End.

"True but you are also a Took." Gandalf specified.

Belle sighed and placed her hand on her forehead in frustration.

"Did you know that your great-great-great-great uncle, Bullroarer Took was so large that he could ride a real horse?" Gandalf questioned her as he pointed to the portrait of her ancestor.