Chapter 8: A Stowaway's story.

Disclaimer: I don't own the Hobbit, but I do own one character I created who's not in the book or film.

*******

In the early hours of the morning, Frodo was shaken awake from his sleep. As he opened his eyes the first thing he saw was Gandalf kneeling down by his bed. Frodo nearly let out a yelp but Gandalf put his large hand against his mouth to stop him from waking up the whole house. He put his finger against his lips to silence the little hobbit.

"Ssshhhh. It's alright Frodo, it's only me." Gandalf calmed the startled Frodo. "Follow me, and keep very quiet." He instructed as he beckoned his finger for Frodo to follow him.

Quiet as a mouse; Frodo got out of bed, put on his dressing gown and tiptoed after Gandalf into the living room and found the two dwarf brothers, Fíli and Kíli with Gandalf.

Gandalf looked down the corridors, making sure that no one else is awake. Satisfied that no one was up yet, he came back to the dwarves and the little hobbit.

"Now Frodo I want you to listen very carefully to what I have to say." Gandalf instructed.

"You do understand that your aunt will have to go on this Journey to help these dwarves to take back their homeland?" He asked Frodo.

"Yes, Gandalf." Frodo replied in sorrow.

"This journey may contain many dangers ahead and very possibly there will be no return, you know that." Gandalf told him in seriousness.

Frodo was hesitant at first; he knew too well that some journey came be very dangerous. "Yes, I do." He miserable answered looking down to the floor.

"So you will need a few people to protect you if you are to come along on this journey in secret." Gandalf resolved with his secret smile.

Frodo looked up at him in sudden astonishment.

"You mean...?" Frodo asked in disbelief.

Fíli and Kíli were surprised that they are going to have another hobbit as part of the company.

"Yes, Frodo Baggins, you may come." Gandalf answered. "If you promise you do exactly what we tell you to make absolutely sure of your safety while going on this journey?"

"I promise I will." Frodo assured him eagerly. "Thank you Gandalf."

Gandalf was contented with Frodo's pledge; he turned to Fíli and Kíli.

"Fíli, Kíli." He informed them as they stood to his attention. "Do you solemnly swear to guard young Frodo here in secret on this journey and protect him if anything happens?

The boys looked at each other with uncertainty; they never kept a secret from their uncle before. They were loyal to him, ever since they joined the company to take the Lonely Mountain they knew full well of the dangers ahead and it would too much for such a small boy; but they didn't want to anger the wizard or upset Frodo who had such hope in his blue eyes.

If it had been their mother who would have gone on this adventure wouldn't they want to come too?

"Alright, I swear by my beard I will protect him with my life." Fíli swore.

"And by mine too." Kíli vowed equally.

"Then it's settled." Gandalf said confidently "Frodo welcome to the company."

Never had Frodo been this happy, he was coming on his adventure with his aunt, Gandalf and the dwarves.

Full of happiness he gave Gandalf a big hug and thanked him; he even gave Fíli and Kíli a hug too and thanking them over and over, this made the brothers very fond of the exciting Hobbit.