Chapter 6: The story of Oakenshield and the Pale Orc.

Disclaimer: I don't own The Hobbit characters or plot of the story!

*******

After many days of travelling over hills, through woods and crossing rivers, the company decided to camp out for the night at the edge of the cliff, they got off their ponies and began to set up camp.

Fíli and Kíli had got their equipment from the saddles of their ponies; Thorin was next to them helping out when Kíli almost dropped his saddlebag while he was removing it from his pony and it made a strange muffled 'Ow!' when it landed on the ground with a thump.

The sound made Thorin turned to Kíli with a puzzled look on his face.

"What was that noise Kíli?" He questioned Kíli with a raised eyebrow.

(Fíli looked up at his brother alarmed.)

"That was me, uncle, Sorry." Kíli said quickly and made a pained face as he clutched his foot. "My pony just stomped on my foot as I was getting my saddlebag."

(Fíli secretly breathed a sigh of relief.)

Thorin narrowed his eyes at Kíli with suspicion as if he didn't believe him.

"Just be careful next time. Fíli go help your brother." Thorin ordered.

Fíli came to help his brother with his saddlebag and they set up their place near the camp fire.

Thorin then walked over where he'll keep watch for the night. He went past Belle who was struggling to get off her pony Myrtle from her saddle, but hasn't quite got the hang of it.

*******

Belle was slightly high from the ground on her pony; and she struggled to reach the floor and then she felt hands gripped around her waist and lifted her off the pony and lowered her on the ground. Belle turned round to see who helped her down and saw to her surprise that it was Thorin, and then suddenly Belle's springtime green eyes met an intensive ice-blue gaze.

Not knowing how long they had stared at each other's eyes, Thorin realized that his hands were still around her, feeling embarrassed he quickly pulled away, leaving a warm imprint from his hands at Belle's waist and he turned round about to walk to where his bedroll was.

"Thank you for helping me. That's very kind of you." Belle said shyly, Thorin stopped where he was but didn't turn round.

"I'm just saving you the trouble of breaking your ankles." He said in a proud gruff voice. "I'm not having you slowing us down." And he went to his bedroll.

"There goes the most insufferable dwarf in the world." Belle thought with irritation and began to her camping spot.

*******

After the company had eaten Bombur's and Belle's delicious hot stew, they settled on their bedrolls and went to sleep, except for Thorin, Fíli, Kíli and Gandalf who were keeping a watchful eye over the camp.

Belle tossed and turned on her bedroll on the hard ground, trying to get some sleep. But a very loud snore was keeping her awake. She sat up from her bedroll and saw Bombur in his sleep was breathing in live moths into his open mouth that were fluttering above his head and when he exhaled they flew out of his mouth alive.

Belle wrinkled her nose in disgust and stood up from her bedroll. Since she can't sleep, she decided to wander about the camp for a bit.

Thorin who was resting against the rock, secretly watched Belle rose up from where she was resting and walked over the sleeping dwarves and headed towards the ponies.