Chapter 7: How to outsmart Trolls.

Disclaimer: I don't own The Hobbit characters or plot of the story!

*******

Days had passed by since Belle had run out of her door, and the company trudged on their long and weary way. It wasn't long before the company came upon the ruins of what used to be a farm house.

"We'll camp here for the night." Thorin announced to the company. They got down from their ponies and set to work to set their camp sight. "Fíli, Kíli look after the ponies." Thorin ordered. "Make sure you stay with them."

The boys obeyed their uncle's command and went to gather the ponies, after they helped Belle get off hers.

*******

Gandalf meanwhile went to inspect the old farm house ruins, and by the look of the place; it looked like it had been destroyed recently.

"A farmer and his family used to live here." He observed and was clearly disturbed it's wreck.

"Óin, Glóin, get a fire going." Thorin ordered as he made his way to Gandalf.

"Aye, right ye are." Glóin nodded and set off to collect firewood.

Gandalf overheard them and has no intention of camping here; who or what destroyed this farmhouse is very likely to come back.

"I think it would be wiser to move on." Gandalf advised cautiously to Thorin. "We could make for the hidden valley."

Thorin gave Gandalf cold hard look; he was not pleased to hear that.

"I have told you already." Thorin said stubbornly. "I will not go near that place."

"Why not?" Gandalf asked in frustration. "The Elves could help us; we could get food, rest and advice."

"I do not need their advice." Thorin growled firmly.

"We have a map that we cannot read." Gandalf convinced. "Lord Elrond could help us."

"Help?" Thorin intensified. "A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria desecrate our sacred halls. The Elves looked on and did nothing."

Thorin replied as he gazed up at Gandalf with eyes filled with fiery rage.

"And you ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather." He accused with a pain in his voice. "Who betrayed my father?"

"You are neither of them." Gandalf confirmed firmly. "I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know that they were yours to keep." Thorin answered back with an infuriated glare.

Filled with silent anger, Gandalf turned and stormed away from the stubborn Dwarf.

*******

Belle was helping Balin with his equipment when she noticed Gandalf with an angered look on his face and was storming away from Thorin. She knew something was wrong.

"Is everything alright?" Belle asked uneasily, noticing that he was leaving she started to panic. "Gandalf, where are you going?"

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense." Gandalf answered in annoyance.

"And who's that?" Belle questioned.

"MYSELF, Miss Baggins!" Gandalf yelled as he walked away towards his horse. "I've had enough of Dwarves for one day." He muttered.