˚₊‧10‧₊˚

˚₊‧Keith Powers as Trey Macfield‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

Strike four.

I knew it was too good to be true.

I almost laughed. I am such a fool!

Nash went pale, and I shifted my sight to the guy beside him. I instantly guessed this was the infamous ex that had run away.

The guy had a smirk on his face, pleased to have been caught. And, because it was impossible not to notice, the boy was more handsome than I could ever hope to be. Whatever confidence I'd managed to build deflated in a second. This whole situation made my stomach churn until all I wanted was to leave and forget my roommate ever existed.

Nash stood up, his eyes pleading. "Casper..."

I didn't utter a word. If I had that fire that Lucas claimed he saw in me, I would've had a lot to say. Unfortunately, that fire burned out long ago. So I defended myself the only way I knew how— I said nothing. I turned around and let the heavy door slam shut. I was so pissed that I'd forgotten Lucas was even there.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered. My breath hitched— a sign that I was going to cry.

I almost found shelter in my friend. I almost hugged him just to cry on his shoulder.

But the guilt clouding his face caught me off guard. What was he sorry for? That I had to catch my crush kissing his ex boyfriend before our date? Because that wasn't his fault.

Then, it hit me like a brick wall. The way he was fidgeting when I found him at my door almost an hour ago. How he tried to keep me occupied in his room.

I wiped my tears away, but more threatened to fall. "You've been acting weird from the moment I came back from class..." I accused.

He shook his head, but was too stunned to speak. For someone who always had something to say, it was interesting to find him speechless.

"Why were you standing outside my door earlier?"

"I..."

"Lucas," I pressed. "Did you know?"

He glanced at the ground as he gave up the secrecy. "I knew. Nash said he found Trey today and asked me to keep you distracted until his ex was gone."

Wow. Unbelievable.

To his credit, he didn't seem proud of his actions.

"And you just rolled over and agreed?" I pressed. Something wasn't adding up. Lucas was bubbly and spirited, but he wasn't a push over. He knew how to say no.

"Of course not! I-I mean..."

My eyes widened. "But you did. Why even try to deny it? I thought we were friends."

"I am your friend. Look, the other day I was going through something... personal... and Nash was there for me. So, I figured I owed him."

Ha. No. I didn't buy it. "If your debt to him was at my expense, you're not really my friend."

His eyes were glossy, and I'd truly never seen him so sad.

But I couldn't care. I stormed away, taking the stairs to the first floor before exiting the building entirely. I felt like I was suffocating in there.

I sat down on a bench in the courtyard and buried my face in my hands, feeling frustrated and stupid. Why would they lie to me? If Nash was so concerned about being caught, why didn't he just take Trey somewhere else? To be frank, I was glad that he didn't. How else would I have known he was a liar?