˚₊‧24‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

"How is everyone today?"

The entire class groaned.

David paced the platform at the front of the room, chuckling at everyone's disdain.

"Okay, okay. I expected that. I'm sure you'd all rather be asleep in your beds, but I have an important announcement. I've been trying to figure out a better way to say this, but there simply isn't one."

He came to a stop, facing us with his chin held high. His eyes locked with mine as I sat helplessly in the third row, willing myself not to cry. He was the only thing keeping me together. It was only appropriate for him to look away, but when he did, I thought I'd break in that moment.

"I emailed you all on Sunday that I was in the hospital. I'm... relatively okay now, but due to health reasons, I'm sorry to say this will be my last day teaching."

Cue the chaos.

Students all across the room whined and grumbled among their neighbors. Ava, who sat in the row in front of mine, turned her head to find me. I regretted meeting her gaze because I could read the turmoil on her face.

"Are you coming back next semester?" a girl lamented, lifting her hand.

"I can't be sure right now," David answered.

"Are you open to it, at least?"

A brief, sad smile crossed his face. "I love teaching here. So, yes, if my health allows it."

The truth was no, his health wouldn't allow it. Even if David went through surgery and got his tumor removed, recovery was going to take months. Maybe a whole year. I almost envied my classmates' ignorance. They didn't know how bad it was.

More students tossed questions at him that he took care to answer. Ever patient, he spent a good ten minutes responding to their inquiries.

"Listen, guys," he said. "I've got four classes, and it's gonna be harder and harder to drop this news to each one. But believe me when I say, being your professor thus far has been more rewarding than you know. I need to focus on getting better, but if any of you ever need anything, you've got my email. Okay? Um... I truly wish you all well, and I hope that if I do return, I'll see your faces again."

A somber silence hung in the air.

David drew in a deep breath. "Alright. I'd rather not dwell, so let's get started with today's lesson."

My throat became raw, and sorrow bubbled in my chest. The room was shrinking, air escaping. I needed to get out of here or I'd cause a fucking scene.

I snatched up my backpack and headed directly for the doors, fighting a mental breakdown the entire way. I knew there were dozens of eyes on my back, especially David's.