˚₊‧23‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

Despite the pictures that were now decorating the walls of David's home and the sunlight pouring through the tall windows, the air was dull and lifeless. There was no sign of Sofie, which crushed me even more.

I stormed inside the moment David opened the door, stalking to and fro like a caged animal.

"Casper, please—"

"You asked me to be yours! To be your boyfriend, while you sat on this huge bombshell!" I growled. My eyes flooded, and my hair grew increasingly disheveled from my attempts to pull it out.

David let the door swing shut and ducked his head in shame. That gesture alone forced me to settle down, but only a little.

"Say something before I- I blow up, please!" I demanded.

"I found out earlier this year. It's aggressive. I had the opportunity to get surgery at the time, but I..." He turned away, squeezing the inner corners of his eyes. "I opted out."

My jaw went slack. Did I hear that right? "You opted out? S-so, what? You're just gonna let it kill you?" I tossed my hands in the air.

He grunted. "I was. Okay? Was."

"Why? Why wouldn't you fight to live?" My voice broke as I stared him down like he was batshit crazy. He had the nerve to hesitate!

"Because..."

"Because what?" I pressed. "Tell me!"

"Because I wanted to see him again! Rowan. And I didn't think you... This is literally the last year of my life, and I didn't think I'd fall in lo—" His mouth snapped shut as he gritted his teeth.

My eyes went wide as I realized what he almost confessed. The same thing I had almost confessed not much earlier.

Fall in what?

Love?

David swiped a hand across his lips, marching two steps back as if he wanted to take those words and retreat. This wasn't how he wanted to say it for the first time. This wasn't how I wanted to hear it. It was too soon. Too morbid.

"Everything's changed now that I have someone other than myself to think about," he said in a low tone, trying to find his footing again. "If I'd known that I would meet someone like you, we'd be having a very different conversation."

I balled my hands in tight fists. "Get the surgery. That's the only conversation worth having right now."

We stared at each other, the fear and fury in my gaze daring him to say no. Finally, after forever, he cast his eyes down.

"I can't."

I marched closer to him, willing him to see reason. "Yes, you can. Please! I know it's not too late!"

"Casper, I can't! Okay? It's been months, and it's progressed. The surgery would be a lot more complicated now. I could die on the table."

My voice rose again. "Yeah? Well, what's the alternative? You're dead if you don't do it. At least, this way, you've got a chance!"

"Spending the time I have left with you is what matters. That's more than I could ask for."

I scoffed. Any other circumstance, and those sweet words would have me in the palm of his hands. "You're romantic, David. You are. But if you really think that line's gonna work on me right now, then you don't know me!"

"Casper, it's not—"

"I mean, were you ever gonna tell me? Huh? Were you gonna let it blindside me?"