Ancient Condition

"If your people are so advanced, why do they do such barbaric things as allow their women into war or leave their women to fend for themselves and their children?"

She shrugged. "I guess it depends on your perspective. To them, allowing women to do anything and everything is advanced and humane—allowing freedom they say."

He grimaced, raising an eyebrow and wondering if this was one of her sarcastic jokes on him. "But that makes no sense. It is not maat. All have their role, man and woman. If one were to try to take the role of the other there would be imbalance, one would be overwhelmed as they tried to do everything and the other would be forced out of the picture." he paused. "Is that why your father left you and your mother? Did your mother make it so? Did she begin to crowd him out?"

She sighed. "I don't know. It's just...I don't know what went on. I know you're really curious right now, but would it be all right with you if I went to bed? I can hardly keep my eyes open."

And Atem could see the truth of that. Her eyelids dropped and she had sagged ever closer to him. He was half tempted to tell her no and keep her talking both for the sake of his curiosity as well as to see if she would slip further and fall upon his lap. But as her head bobbed, he softened.

"Of course." he gestured to his own bed. "If you like you may sleep on my bed. There is room enough for the both of us."

She stiffened at this, blinking hard to rid the sleepiness from her eyes.

"Atem..." then she reconsidered. "No, I'll sleep on my cushion. It isn't right for me to sleep in your bed."

"Is this a custom of your people?"

She rolled her eyes. "I figured this would be something that is the same in all cultures."

As she moved to get up he took her arm, smiling at her gently.

"It is all right. You are no longer a slave, if station is what you are concerned about. I would be pleased to share anything with you, even if..." he hesitated. Was he ready to promise that piece of him? Was he ready to say he'd be willing to share his kingdom with her? As his Queen?

She looked exasperated. "It's not that, Atem. Come on, piece it together." She suddenly blushed. "You...you said you liked me the other day, didn't you? Well, what do you get when you have a guy and a woman he's rather fond of in the same bed? I'm not stupid."

"Well then," his smile turned wry, "if you are worried about any intimacy happening, just marry me."

At this she violently yanked her arm away and took a step back. "Don't joke with me, Pharaoh." For a moment he thought he saw a flash of ice in her eyes.

"Pharaoh does not joke." And now no trace of a smile was on his face. He was serious. Yes, he had said it without thinking, but he had realized in a split second what he wanted. It seemed the natural course that if he wanted her, he should marry her. He didn't know what would happen with his country like this, however. None of his people were in the state for a royal marriage, especially with Shadow Games shooting overhead. But perhaps afterwards? If there was an afterwards...but, just maybe, having her agree to marry him would be nearly as good as the actual marriage. It would mean she had accepted him and possibly be willing to love him in return.

But her face had gone blank and cool.

"Even if I did love you, I wouldn't marry a Pharaoh."