Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Priya | Be the Arrow

The days slipped around Priya's shoulders, each one weighing heavier and heavier. But still she kept her chin up and eyes calm while around her the whispers spread and moral evaporated. The pool was down to six and by now everyone knew they'd lost the war. All that remained was the pending announcement to follow as Marai named the firms newest first year associate.

The morning after her win at court, Jessica had hurried over, thin hair cut in soft layers around her oval face, eyes round and lips skewed into her closest version of a smile as she congratulated Priya. In the two months together at MNS, this was only the third time they'd ever exchanged words, though she had come to learn it wasn't a mark of competitiveness but rather a sort of social awkwardness. Jessica didn't know how to immerse herself in social niceties, but, from the glimpses Priya had witnessed around the office, though she was tiny, Jessica was a fierce, confident litigator with a bite far more savage than her bark.

Taryn had taken to casting heated glances over the tip of her upturned nose, occasionally standing shoulder to shoulder with an equally morose Mark. Calvin, on the other hand, appeared oddly relieved as his usually hunched shoulders lifted, lightening the bulk of his heavy frame.

Hadrian hadn't said a word to her, or she to him, in almost a week since she'd fled from his penthouse. Though she could track his gaze watching her from time to time, he'd otherwise given her a wide berth.

Priya smoothed a hand over her belly, adjusting the waist of her slacks even though everything was pristine after her pit-stop to the women's room. At the sound of a woman's voice, giving her permission to enter, Priya twisted the crystal doorknob and stepped into the lush corner office.

Marai stood by the wide bank of floor to ceiling windows curving in a stunning sightline over central park. She wore grey on grey with her skirt, heels, blouse and pearls. At the sound of Priya's entry, her head swivelled around and that wing of hair flipped back, revealing her stark gaze and burgundy lips.

"Close the door."

Priya did as she was told, then crossed the suite to the settee where Marai was already seated, legs crossed and arms spread on either side of her. "I think you know why I've called you in," she began.

Priya faltered on the barest fraction of a second as she sank down into the ivory cushions facing her boss. "Yes, I think so."

She'd scored fifteen million dollars. As this was a pro-bono case, none of the money would come to the firm, but the coo in and of itself was a major victory. There wasn't a news station or paper, that wasn't talking about this and overnight, Priya Seth had gone from a speck in a sea of thousands to a name on the rise.

"Admittedly, you've exceeded my expectations," Marai continued, and set down a folder Priya hadn't noticed on the table between them. "You should be proud of yourself. I don't say those words lightly."

As the weight of that file settled, Priya's heart stopped beating for a full three seconds before kicking back with a fierce lurch. Inside was an employment agreement. Her contract with MNS. The start of her life as a prized litigator. "Thank you."

"Now, let's talk about Hadrian."

Priya's gaze snapped to hers. "What about him?"

"This is my firm and very little escapes my notice. Including the fact that you and Marek Junior are no longer on speaking terms." Marai's gaze scrutinized her for a moment longer and her hands came around to settle in her lap. "Not that I blame you. I never cared for his father. Aurelio Marek was...a difficult man who wasn't above recognizing an opportunity and manipulating it to his advantage."