XIV

October 5, 1998

 Days had passed without a reply from Harry Potter and Draco was beginning to worry if Potter was onto him. He was just about to draft another letter with a further convincing explanation, when his owl flew back through the window.

Draco seized the letter and read the front, relived that it was from the person he was waiting for.

Malfoy,

At first I was skeptical of your proposition, but I have decided to trust you, seeing as you are partnering on the task with Hermione.

I last left it in the Forbidden Forest. I'm sorry, but that's as much as I know. I can't point you in any specific direction, I don't remember where I dropped it or were I was. I hope you can find it, and when you do, alert the Ministry of Magic; they will be able to handle things from there.

I hope all is well at Hogwarts. And, do me a favor, will you? Protect Hermione. Keep her safe and happy, and don't let anyone hurt her.

Thank you, and much luck, my friend,

Harry Potter

Draco couldn't help but smile warmly at Potter's affection and protectiveness toward Hermione. Draco made a mental note to get closer with Potter.. (Harry, his mind corrected,) once everything was over.

It was later in the day, so he headed into the Great Hall where students would use it for a study room on a free period. He saw Neville, Luna, and Ginny chatting on the Ravenclaw table about halfway down the Hall.

"Hey," Draco said, giving a small wave. Neville beamed at the sight of him but the girls looked unsure about his presence. Draco gestured to sit with them. "Mind if I.."

"Not at all," Neville cut in quickly before the girls could protest.

"Blimy!" Ginny cried after a few seconds of silence. "I just remembered Luna and I have a project we need to work on.." she looked over at Ginny, intensely, who then understood, and they both got up leaving, biding Neville a good evening.

The boys watched them until they left the Hall. Draco rested his head on his fist and sighed. Neville turned back to face him across the table.

"Sorry. It's going to take some a little longer to get used to the new you." Draco just shrugged. "At least you've got Hermione and I, and we know you're true colors." he smiled.

Draco couldn't be somber around Neville even if he wanted to. Neville had a positivity like no one else. It's too bad he was ignored and mocked in his earlier years. He wasn't able to be himself until after the war.

The war changed many people. Hogwarts felt different when returned, and still is. There's people like Ginny who have lost a family member, and cries herself to sleep sometimes, as he's heard from Hermione. It's partly my fault Fred is gone. I started everything by fixing the vanishing cabinet. His face must have been depressed, because Neville grabbed his attention.

"Draco.. stop. I know what you're thinking about." Neville said, in a soothing tone.

Draco massaged his face and then looked back up at him. His eyes suddenly dark and absent as he stared ahead, almost in a trance. "They're all dead.. because of me."

"No." Neville said, a little too loudly, getting a few looks from those trying to study. "No," he said again, leaning in closer to Draco so as to lower his tone. "Nothing that happened that night was anyone's fault but Voldemort's. Many people were forced out of fear and he made them do terrible things. But you did something the night of the war no other death eater dared to do. You stood up for yourself. You were brave and loyal to us, more than I, a Gryffindor, has ever been. By doing so, you saved many lives, including mine." Neville smiled at Draco.

"I couldn't let Voldemort kill any more of the people that mattered to me, even if I was on the other side, my true allegiance was with you all."

"Exactly, and that's what made you different from all those death eaters. You took a stance that could have cost your life, but here you are; where you've always wanted to be." Neville gave Draco's shoulder a squeeze, earning a smile.

Neville saved Draco's mentality once again. They talked for a good while longer until Draco got up to head back to his room, when he realized, Neville was a Herbologist, and probably knew a great deal about the Forbidden Forest. He stopped in his tracks and turned back around, sitting in his spot once again.

Neville looked at him expectantly. "Okay, so.." Draco starting, thinking how to phrase it innocently. "I've got this extra assignment, Head boy stuff, and I need to write on the Forbidden Forest. Do you think you could tell me a bit about it?"

Neville's smile widened. This was his expertise. "Of course!"

Sad news (at least to you few who follow).. This is as much as I have written and I have decided to discontinue this story, at least for now. I gotta focus on more important things like college applications, getting a job and finishing senior year strong. 

So sorry! But stay tuned because I'll be writing short stories and one-shots still! And hopefully one day I'll continue Deliberate Choice :) Thanks for reading and voting all this time! Much love